Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bell47

shoveling the dream!
How hard is it to go from flying a caravan to flying for a cargo jet operator such as Centurion or Gemini? I wouldn't mind starting as an FE, but I'm not really sure how to go about this move. I'm not sure if I need 121 time but I'm really trying to avoid the regionals. Do you need time in large aircraft or Pt 121 time to get hired at one of these companies(not just Centurion or Gemini, but companies like them). Also do most of these companies start crew members as FE's or do they hire into the right seat?. Any ideas, revelations, theories, suggestions, or words of wisdom would be appretiated. I have about 4000 TT 600 multi ATP/MEL, A&P/IA Be-400a/Mu-300 type....Am I competative as a FE if I take the test, what about right seat? Thanks guys.

You will get hired my Evergreen into the right seat. You can also sit sideways if you like,then jump to the right seat.

You will get hired my Evergreen into the right seat. You can also sit sideways if you like,then jump to the right seat.

Yeah, I did that.
Went from slow T/P to Evergreen, right seat DC-8-73.

An eyeopener in ground school and sim but made it ok.
A few months later the B-747.

The rest is history.

Ditto on the jump in A/C size. Went from T/P j32 to sideways on DC8, then right seat DC8 after sitting as a switch b1tch for 18 months. The flying skills were a little rusty.

The sideways time was extremely good for the knowledge of the plane. During ground school for the right seat I did not even look at the systems book just studied the flows and profiles. Made the oral a breeze. The examiner assumed I must know something bout' the plane since I had a DC8 F/E ticket, silly examiner.....

You will do fine,,,,

As long as you know your Flows and Profiles COLD you will do fine in the sim,,,,

Line training just think ahead and you will do great,,,

I would say to definitely go for it. I was basically in the same shoes as you a couple of years ago except I was really low time. I wanted to avoid instructing or a training contract so I got sweet talked into working for Amerijet International as a FE with a very good possibility of upgrade in the future. That possibility turned into a dream real quick once I got my foot in the cockpit and learned the truth. It was a huge learning experience which gave me a running start for my next job with a regional though. My best advice if you're planning to go in as a FE is to do your research on their present upgrade situation so you don't get screwed by a scumbag company like I did. The companies you mentioned have a good reputation for upgrade so I would say you have a good chance with your time and your A&P also goes a long way too.

Good luck.

Actually you are probably better off than many of the pilots that transition into cargo flying from the regionals.

With the ease of use of the flight directors in the newer aircraft, many RJ pilots have a tough time moving back to the "steam gauges", and older/less modern flight directors.

You will do fine,,,,

As long as you know your Flows and Profiles COLD you will do fine in the sim,,,,

Line training just think ahead and you will do great,,,

Good advice:

Flows and profiles is THE secret.

Fly the paper tiger and ya will be fine.

Latest resources

Back