• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Go Trannie!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get the extra wide seats and extenders. Those WI women will keep you warm in the winter and shaded in the summer.

There are a lot of things that NWA management doesn't do very well. <--Nominee, Biggest Understatement, 2007.

Defending turf ain't one of their weaknesses.

Caught a SWA flight into MSP lately? Ask Reno. Or Frontier.

There's a huge diference between having a "presence", and being a "factor" in a market.

AirTran saw a vulnerability in the MKE market. NWA saw it too. One of them has locked-up the dominant carrier in that market. One hasn't.

Fork Lift Joe will pay a premium, and a high continuing cost, to gain market share in MKE.
We'll see if he has the markeing savvy to gain a significant beachhead. For comparison, review his own comments about AirTran's success in ATL, "It's probably due more to Delta's miscalculation, than our marketing strength."

NWA wil not make the same mistakes.

If

Oh, probably as long as it took them to "crush us" in their hubs- MSP and MEM . . . I'd debate the matter further, but I have a flight departing for MSP and MEM soon . . . . . see you in MKE, Senator!.
I'm willing to bet if NWA really intended to "crush" Trannie's presence in either MSP or MEM, you wouldn't be going there today. They aren't shy when it comes to defending their turf. I don't think they view a couple of flights a day by Trannie as a serious threat or impact. But then again, maybe you RJ and the senator could meet up in a stall at MSP and discuss it.:blush:

HA! 2 additional gates a MAJOR expansion! Please. Im sure Timmy is really scared right now. Hope they add their promised flights to Buffallo and Montreal out of MKE and see how this would have worked out in reality had AirTran won the fight. Reality will prevail when all they do is add flights to destinations already served by Midwest. Trannie is like the kid who is still trying pick a fight after just getting his as* kicked.

Who really knows whats going to happen.. I have heard though that MKE is one of the highest load factor cities that AAI serves. AAI got beat by SWA in MDW, and still expanded. MEH isn't SWA, and if the flights stay full, you can bet AAI will add more and more cities out of MKE. This is the perfect time for AAI to expand in MKE if they are going to do it. NWA really can't defend much of MKE right now because it may cause problems with TPG's purchase of MKE.. Besides... Remember what NWA said? They will not be involved in the day to day operations of Midwest, so they won't be involved with protecting MKE unless NWA does it with red tailed airplanes.. But then again, if you believe NWA won't be in some way involved with the everyday operations of MEH, I have a really nice Yugo that chicks dig I can sell you.

HA! 2 additional gates a MAJOR expansion! Please. Im sure Timmy is really scared right now. Hope they add their promised flights to Buffallo and Montreal out of MKE and see how this would have worked out in reality had AirTran won the fight. Reality will prevail when all they do is add flights to destinations already served by Midwest. Trannie is like the kid who is still trying pick a fight after just getting his as* kicked.

It's what we can do with two extra gates that counts. What you are seeing is planned expansion not a "kid trying to pick a fight" as you suggest. We have 65 more 737's coming, can't put them all in ATL so hence new gates at other cities.

Who really knows whats going to happen.. I have heard though that MKE is one of the highest load factor cities that AAI serves. AAI got beat by SWA in MDW, and still expanded. MEH isn't SWA, and if the flights stay full, you can bet AAI will add more and more cities out of MKE. This is the perfect time for AAI to expand in MKE if they are going to do it. NWA really can't defend much of MKE right now because it may cause problems with TPG's purchase of MKE.. Besides... Remember what NWA said? They will not be involved in the day to day operations of Midwest, so they won't be involved with protecting MKE unless NWA does it with red tailed airplanes.. But then again, if you believe NWA won't be in some way involved with the everyday operations of MEH, I have a really nice Yugo that chicks dig I can sell you.

it appears the markets AAI are going to from MKE are either:

a) have additional capacity (we're full on our ATL flights, it appears you are as well)
b) low yield leisure markets (LAS, LAX, PHX, Florida)
c) if they start to use their slots (DCA, LGA) then their real motive may be shown (ie direct competition on high yield routes)

my guess is AAI is hedging it's bets. they do not want to announce routes (and thus have any overlap with MEH) if the TPG deal falls through at which point I would expect the MEH BoD to offer JL his last deal. if the deal goes through they are simply finding new routes and will use MKE and MDW as focus cities for their future midwest hub (IND, STL, ?).

if it is c and the TPG deal goes through, then I would expect growth at MEH to happen quicker (as MEH is now NWA's principal ally in MKE) to protect MSP/DTW.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back