"Go Purple Onion"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Eagleflip said:
I don't know about the origination of "Purple Onion," but I can tell you second hand the story from the first Gulf War. If you need verification, ask JethroF15...he wuz there.

Ah, what bored pilots will do...

And I was fairly certain AF JO's had their senses of humor beat and bred out of them. Classically funny.

Great story, Eagleflip!

Makes you long for the days of playing Dead Bug on the floor of the Torrejon Officer's Club then tearing their urinals off the wall.

GV

GVFlyer said:
Great story, Eagleflip!
Makes you long for the days of playing Dead Bug on the floor of the Torrejon Officer's Club then tearing their urinals off the wall.
GV

Ahh, back when men were men, sheep were nervous, there were strippers and slot machines in the clubs, and beer was served at Commander's Call.

Back when a DUI was a youthful indiscretion, the dining in was a great event, and the smell of JP4 being converted into smoke and noise brought a smile to all...

Flipper,
One of the all time best stories I've ever heard; and flying the mighty, mighty Phantom I served with several Vietnam Vets who could tell stories.

At the risk of being banned, it calls to mind a great saying I heard a few years ago:

"We used to drink whiskey and f--- women; now we drink diet coke and f--- each other."

GVFlyer said:

Ouch. I just hurt my back.

Unfair calling deceased insect in the forum.

AdlerDriver said:
Nice story Flip - I was at "the Bush" during the same time. We pulled the "Purple Onion" on the command post back in Germany too.

Too bad though, I was going to see how long we could string Hold West along thinking PO was something real. I think we had him going for a while. ;)

No - I'm SURE he knew all along. :laugh:

Ah, no sorry, I was ignorant - except the "Abort Red Monkey" kinda gave it away, I was wondering at that one, sounded like you pulla my leg.

Now I am just going to be laying in wait for the opportunity to drop a Purple Onion on frequency...:D:bomb:

Flipper,

It's not just what bored pilots do. It's what bored pilots do while TDY. Whole 'nother level of fun to be had while TDY.

Happy landings,

*sigh*

I get to miss out on all this fun because of "high interoccular pressure". At least I can live vicariously through FI...

Good story, Flip!

FWIW, "Abort Red Monkey" actually had a day in the sun. During Cope Thunder, 1986, a VMFP-3 (Marine PhotoRecon) RF-4B was making a photo flash run over the target in Crow Valley. One of the photo flash flares didn't eject properly and exploded inside the cannister. The blast severed the Hyd to the tail and the elevator went full down (nose up). The pilot and ARO were pinned to the seats as the Phantom corkscrewed through the air...somewhat horizontally.

The ARO was a bit of a body-builder and managed to do an impressive (against 8G's) push-up and yank the lower handle.

I've got a 3-view video of it, and the funniest part is the optic view from a "special" SAM site in Crow Valley that was tracking the flight as part of the exercise. The operator is giving a calm, mattter-of-fact narrative as the jet first appears...then as it starts to gyrate the voice gets excited. Within a second or two it is apparent the jet is headed for the site! The operator screams, "Ah-ya-ya!". The next sound is the mic being dropped and heavy, rapid footsteps out the door. (The jet impacted about 200m away).

The next voice is range control announcing "Abort Red Monkey!"

Ha! It was actually being used for real!!

Who knew?

For years that had been our squadron signal that we should knock-off whatever shenanigans we were up to...usually when the CO or another kahuna approached. "Execute Purple Onion" was used for spoofing grunts or women/USAF...often spoken into our wristwatches. We also used "Code Emerson" in the club to alert others to a nice rack, and "Buck Diamond Alpha" for a nice caboose (I have no idea why...).

Fun times.

Latest resources

Back