Go Incorporate Yourself

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkerjock

Any advice on how to incorporate yourself would be greatly appreciated. I have called a lawyer and they want to charge $700 to do it. Any advice on how to do it myself would be great. Thank you.

DIY Corporations

hawkerjock said:
Any advice on how to incorporate yourself would be greatly appreciated. I have called a lawyer and they want to charge $700 to do it. Any advice on how to do it myself would be great. Thank you.
HJ,

Not to throw a fan blade through your cabin here but you can't incorporate "yourself." I formed an LLC (Limited Liability Company) in the State of Michigan and the minimum is 2 members (people). I believe corporations require at least 2 as well. You could form a sole proprietorship, like Hawkerjock's Fishing Lures. But you are the sole owner and it does nothing to reduce your liability (which is why I assume you want to do it in the first place).

I was fortunate - Michigan has a government website that had essentially a "wizard" for creating a corp or LLC - the steps were easy to follow and it created the paperwork to print out, sign and mail. Fifty bucks was all it took.

I would avoid the $700 attorney gig, whether done online or in person - I feel it is a rip-off, it doesn't take that kind of expertise to do it, just a little research on your part. Find out what it takes in your state and go for it. Perhaps www.insertyourstatenamehere.gov might be a good start. That way you are only paying the filing fees (much less than $700 usually). Treat yourself to a $600 hamburger afterward for your hard work!

Good luck

There are companies out there that specialize in this sort of thing - www.corporate.com is one of them (and there are many others) - you just fill out a few forms and they file everything that needs to be filed. Most of them are around $200 to $500 depending on what 'package' you get but as was stated before it's not really that hard to do yourself - you just need to do some research before hand.

Incorporation

HJ,

What are you wanting to acheive? Maybe I can help.

TransMach

No Problem

hawkerjock said:

We are doing it ourselves, it is not hard at all. Write me or call me. 928-846-1364. or [email protected]

Sincerely,
Bob Warfel

What state are you in? Rules vary state to state. On the advice of my accountant, I recently started my own LLC. I did a fair amount of research. I was going to pay an attorney but saw an ad for Legalzoom.com. I ended up filing through their web-based service.

In Missouri it is just one form to fill out, I went downtown to the secretary of states office and the only thing they did is run a search on the name I wanted! The fee here is $100. Do not let anyone fill out ONE sheet of paper for you and charge $600 over the price you could do it for! I did it for www.jetreview.com.

Forming a LLC

I recently formed a Limited Liability Corp in TX. I am the only member/owner whatever, but it was really easy. I went to the TX Secretary of State office online and they had all the infor I needed.

Good luck.

Just curious as to why you guys have formed an LLC or incorporated? Is it for a business on the side or is it related to your primary job which I assume is flying? I've been looking at doing something to supplement my income so I'm interested to here what you all do and why you've chosen to form your LLC or Corp.

Thanks!!

Yes you can do it yourself. BUT... if you don't know what you are doing I would advise you to bite the bullet and hire an attorney. If not to form it (that is if you live in a State with easy online forms) then at least to advise you on how to maintain it correctly. Failing to properly maintain and account for your LLC or corporation can negate any liability protection you may think you have. No point in doing it unless you do it right.

Latest resources

Back