Go guard or stay airline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mangmntsuks

Wondering if some of you could help me make a tough decision...

Currently:
Regional First officer on reserve.
Lots of civilian flight experience.
College Degree.
Commuting transcontinental for airline reserve.
No upgrade potential for at least 2 years.
Age 27.5
Single

Question....Do I ride this out, or fulfill a longtime dream of doing both military and civilian flying? I know I would have to take a military leave and then I would be able to come back after training is over. I also know this will take about 3 years as I have not begun to apply to any units yet. I plan to gather the phone numbers and addresses after I write this post.

Am I too old?

I have a lot of questions. There are some other considerations like the fact that I will probably be making more money on the civilian side. I also have the freedom to travel just about anywhere for cheap. But then there is the comfort of knowing that when times are tough, the military still wants you.

I guess I am mostly just thinking out loud. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Lifelong dream?

If it was a "lifelong dream" to fly military, why didn't you do it earlier?

Flaco

Seems like everyone comes out of the woodwork when the airline industry is down.

I'm not a military flyer but looked into it recently and spent a ton of time looking into the age issue, so, I hope nobody minds my post.

You are supposed to be in pilot training by 30. Your not too old if you get going now. From what I hear the pipeline is faster for the reserves (could be important if your trying to beat the age limit timeline) whereas some guard units might already be through all the planned hiring for a few years. You have to call the various units and talk to the officer/pilot recuiter person to find out. Don't call the enlisted recruiter they usually don't handle the pilot hiring. Some guard units might be willing to waiver you regardless of the age 30 rule but not many of them. It all depends on how badly they need people. Two big negatives right now are the stop loss and bad state of the airline industry, of course you know about the latter :) So, they have alot of folks to choose from.

Last edited:
MgtSux,

Go! Get busy NOW! The sources for ideas on units recruiting are on the board....baseops.net I think is a good start.

Flaco...don't beat a guy simply because he wants to do what you are doing. Not everyone (me included) got the brief about "join the guard enlisted, learn about the unit, go to UPT and live happily ever after". Consider yourself fortunate, and go rage hard in UPT. I know some super Viper drivers that did just what you did--you are on a great track.

Having a line number THEN going to UPT is a great deal. However, even if you have to lose your civilian job the experience and great training you get in the ANG/Reserves likely mean you can find another job once the hiring starts again.

Lots of C130 units seem to be recruiting...might be a good start. I'm not sure getting a fighter "off the street" is possible right now, but then again there are some folks on the board who seem to be doing just that. Bottom line is you need to log off flightinfo.com and get on the road visiting units ASAP.

I've said it before, but its worth the effort. Just don't forget you may get shot at when someone schedules a war.

Albief15.

Thank you for your defense, and especially for your info. Im gonna try and narrow it down to a few units this week and go visit them. Your advice might have been the push I needed. I think you are right about even if I didnt go back to my airline, I would still have some awsome career experience.

Clearsky,

thanks for your help also. I wil make sure I talk to the right people.

Flaco,

If you arent going to be helpful, why did you waste the time writing the message. I said lifelong dream to have a military AND a civilian creer. Im already well on my way with the civilian one. Of course Im gonna start thinking about bettering my career when I see that its not going well. Are you afraid of the competition? Thats the only reason I can think that you would say what you did. I hope my first impression of you is wrong. If not, then you have no business in this proffession, civ OR mil.

Dude,

No hard feelings. I'm not afraid of the competition (already have a UPT slot). It just seems like every other post on this message board and the one over at studentpilot.net is "I was furloughed from XYZ airline and I'm 29 1/2 and now I want to fly for the Guard to keep me flying..... until my civilian job comes back." That probably doesn't describe you. I was venting.

Now, I think what Albie and clearsky said was good advice. Get the ball rolling and soon. You have to be in UPT by 30 (per the regs, waivers are hard to come by) Figure out what type of airframe you want to fly (heavy or fighter) and start mailing out completed application packages to all of the units that fly your fav airframe.

There is a wealth of information available on www.baseops.net and www.studentpilot.net as well as this message board. As for getting a fighter off the street, it is possible (I know of more than a handful of dudes that have done it this year), but it is getting more competitive as more and more people have begun to apply Guard and Reserve.

If you want more info, PM me and I'll help you out.

Flaco

Mangmntsuks,

If you want a "fast track" (for lack of a better phrase), you might look into Army aviation. Warrant Officer Flight Training is available through the National Guard. I call it fast track only because you may be able to secure a training slot faster through the Army Guard than the Air Guard.

Granted, it won't be flying jets, but it's an option if your primary desire is to fly as a military pilot. I know several current USAR/ARNG helicopter pilots at Comair and have flown with several of them. They're good sticks and I'll fly with them again.

There is a site run by APTAP (Army Pilot to Airline Pilot) which you may find useful. Use your browser to find them. I apologize for not having their address. I know some of their members and also know that some are at the majors.

Good Luck!

Get on it

I'm was in your shoes last April when I began to apply for a UPT slot in the ANG. If you want to get a head start on the application process you should talk to a guard recuriter and schedule to take the AFOQT and the BAT. You may also try to schedule a physical your the local MEPS. Start gathering at least 3 letters of recommendation, even if you're not required to do so. The unit i was selected by didn't require the LOR's. This should get you started.

Good Luck

SR

Latest resources

Back