Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tri-holer

Unregistered Ruser
Just a quick question. I have heard that whenever a controller issues a "go direct to..." it is noted and there is some benefit to the controllers for this. It was never elaborated what the benefit was - retirement points, kudos, who knows? Is this true?

Just a quick question. I have heard that whenever a controller issues a "go direct to..." it is noted and there is some benefit to the controllers for this. It was never elaborated what the benefit was - retirement points, kudos, who knows? Is this true?

Other than getting your out of the airspace faster, there is no other incentive to clearing an aircraft direct to a fix.

I've heard that if a pilot asks for Direct and they can't approve it, then they receive demerits against their retirement points. :laugh:

I used to fly with a guy who always asked for direct by saying, "If it helps you out, we can go direct to..." One day, the controller responded, "It doesn't help me out one bit, but if you want, you're cleared direct to..."

I know as a passenger on SWA "Direct" somewhere means there could be quite a few points visited along the way!

I like requesting direct to somewhere so I can push a few buttons on the FMS and the plane turns vs. when we arrive at a fix and the plane simply turns on it's own... I mean what would my passengers think If i didnt push some buttons and the plane simply flew itself... id be looking at a major pay cut! :)

we got a direct the other day, looked like it bypassed a big dogleg on the map.....watched the fuel remaining and it saved....20lbs of fuel (figured it would be worth at least a hundred or two)

Latest resources

Back