Go-Around after accepting a LAHSO?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

If you've accepted a LAHSO and need to go around, do you have to turn prior to overflying the intersecting runway or can you overfly the intersecting runway? Sorry, I've been out for over 2 years and I'm trying to re-study.

Thx.

Regulations does not specify a method to fly. Nor does the AIM. They only specify that acceptance of a LAHSO does not preclude a go-around. This is why you are PIC so you can make the right decisions based on your actual situation. ATC will likely play a role in your go-around.

... just be careful with the aircraft taking off/going around on the intersecting runway if you had to go around...

Because of this inherent problem, most people don't do LAHSO in 121 world anymore...

... just be careful with the aircraft taking off/going around on the intersecting runway if you had to go around...

Because of this inherent problem, most people don't do LAHSO in 121 world anymore...

"Unable LAHSO" worked for me every time in the 91(k) / 135 world. I always thought LAHSO was a potential trap.

They're still done in the 121 world. ORD BOS to name a few where I've done quite a few.

Go around. Fly a normal go around. The other A/C will have time. If they're taking off, ATC won't issue the clearance until it's clear that you will be able to stop.

Last edited:
They're still done in the 121 world. ORD BOS to name a few where I've done quite a few.

Go around. Fly a normal go around. The other A/C will have time. If they're taking off, ATC won't issue the clearance until it's clear that you will be able to stop.

LAHSO is the rule at KMIA every day of the week. There are several airlines - including mine - that don't train for it, so ATC works around it for you. I've never been delayed from saying "negative LAHSO".

I've never heard a LAHSO given to a landing aircraft because of a plane departing the intersecting runway, but I suppose it could happen. If both are landing, flying the published missed approach would seem safe and prudent unless directed otherwise.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back