GnsXls question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GravityHater

How do you tell it to cross 20 miles before ABC at 17000?

Do you have to make a new wp in the FPL page first? Then go to Vnav?

GravityHater said:
How do you tell it to cross 20 miles before ABC at 17000?

Do you have to make a new wp in the FPL page first? Then go to Vnav?

Disclaimer: My GNS skills are rusty so hopefully others will verify/correct any mistake I might make.

You do have to insert a new waypoint in the FPL. To do so, enter ABC* (or *ABC). This will bring up the radial/distance page. Enter the items required and insert into FPL. Then go to VNAV page, select ABC* and put in your crossing restriction.

I've never been a fan of the GNS VNAV function. There are really too many hoops to jump through just to get an FPM rate (our VNAV does not couple to autopilot). It's often easier and definitely quicker to do the ole mental math for descents.

Again, I use the GNS only a handful of flights a year and my recollection is rusty. Plug the GPU in your aircraft and give it a try. I'm sure someone else on the board will correct any errors I might have made.

Assuming ABC is already a waypoint in the active flight plan -
Press VNAV
Highlight ABC and press ENTER
In the ALTITUDE block type "170"
In the DISTANCE block type "20" (it will default to "-20") If you want to cross 20 on the other side of ABC, press the + button and it will read +20.
Normal path default is 3.0 but you can highlight this field and change it to whatever you want.

Hm I wonder if I have a different version than you, mine does not have a distance block. Just checked it with the pc simulator, and I don't see one in the quick ref guide. Thanks.

OK the ABC* does seem to work, when you enter that as a WP, it asks for radial and distance and then go into vnav and enter xing restriction, will try it out next flight.

You shouldn't need to make a separate waypoint. Try selecting the waypoint on the NAV or flight plan page and then pressing VNAV.

Scott

Press V NAV two times and all waypoints in your flightplan will appear. Highlight the proper one - press enter. On the next page 170 enter - 22 miles ( I use a 2 mile buffer) enter - 3.0 enter. Press V NAV again and it will tell you top line - needed rate and bottom line - actual rate. When the 3.0 is reached you should get a glide slope.
Hope this helps.

HEADWIND

You can also hit "direct"
Once on the direct page, highlight the desired fix
Press the VNAV button
Enter desired altitude in the altitude block
Enter "20" in the distance block
Keep hitting enter until you see a FPM readout (can't remember how many times)

I think this is an older model, it doesn't have a distance block.

Selecting a wp in Nav then going to Vnav does nothing helpful with regard to my problem.

Thanks, I think its going to work fine with the ABC* and then ABC waypoints in there.

Latest resources

Back