Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HawkerF/O

If I were to get a Xing restriction such as
"Cross 30 miles North of Chicago at 8000 feet" and there is no fix there, how would I program (or create a fix) at that point. I know I could type in ORD* and it would bring up a radial and distance page, but I dont need to input a radial, just a distance. I just want to put that fix inline with my current course to Chicago. In the Honeywell, I could put "ORD//30" then lie select it on top of ORD and I would be all set, but I have not figured out how to do that on the GNSs. Thanks in advance for any input.

Push "VNAV".

Highlight the fix on the left and push "Enter".

On the right side of the page, highlight the altitude box and enter the crossing altitude.

Push "enter" and it will move the cursor to "offset". Enter the distance, push "enter", and you're set.

It will automatically insert a - sign before the distance you enter. If the restriction is past the fix (in your example, you're south of Chicago wanting to cross 30 north at 8, enter +30 in the "offset" box.

Gns-xls

Take the shortcut: Excuse me Mr. or Mrs. FO, could you set up the crossing restriction, I am almost finished with this article/nap.

On a more serious note, the easy way to remember the VNAV page is this: Anything on the right is simply an alt. at a fix. If you want to get more complicated than that, it's probably on the left. Highlight and enter and before you know it, boom! you just set up an offset altitude! Flight Safety used to have a PC based GNS-XLS program you can use to learn the finer points of the system.

Good luck!

Kevin

knelson said:
Flight Safety used to have a PC based GNS-XLS program you can use to learn the finer points of the system.

Kevin

You can get the simulator from the BendixKing website also. I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it though, it appears the GNS is heading to the grave yard unless your not in need of using it for RNAV sid/stars.

SabreFlyR said:
You can get the simulator from the BendixKing website also. I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it though, it appears the GNS is heading to the grave yard unless your not in need of using it for RNAV sid/stars.

Damn, I hate to see it go! God save the GNS!

Latest resources

Back