Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Only temporarily....

Folks, I'll break it to ya.

When you're asking for 25 billion, it's best to be a little humble and display a gesture of good will by riding in a hybrid and sheding the planes, for now. The media has for the moment put them in check, for ratings. Makes a great story.

Once that money gets earmarked for Detroit, the corporate jets WILL come back.

Guaranteed. :cool:

breaking4.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Bizav Flight Departments Latest Casualty of Recession
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rodney Hamilton, the director and chief pilot of Ford’s now-defunct flight department, summed up the state of the industry yesterday in two words: “difficult times.” In the past week, General Motors and Ford Motor Company announced they were shutting their respective flight departments, and investors learned that Citigroup has put two of its jets–worth $30 million each–on the block. There are also reports that Lucent Technologies is trying to sell its two G450s. The Ford closure leaves 49 people–including 17 pilots and nine flight attendants–unemployed, and the company intends to sell the five aircraft in its fleet. GM fired 72 flight department employees, including 32 pilots, and plans to unload four of its seven jets. “I don’t think Ford Motor Company’s actions are threatening to the industry at large,” Hamilton told AIN. “I think what is threatening are the economic conditions. I believe that in better times this would not have happened.” NBAA president Ed Bolen, meanwhile, attributed the actions by Ford and GM to their “acute liquidity crisis…The fact that they are selling strategic assets, including airplanes, appears directly related to their particular liquidity challenge.”
up_arrow.gif
[/FONT]

all they had to do was airline up on their big day, tell the panel "uh, no we airlined sir" when asked "did you fly corporate jets" and BOOM, END OF FURTHER DISCUSSION.

Goes to show you how a bunch of lame brain MBAs got some (I know for a fact) much smarter pilots axed

It's funny, I don't remember hearing anything about the jets belonging to "BIG BANKS" when they rolled into D.C. to accept their Bailout checks from Uncle Sugar. A bit ironic, don't you think? :)

"Completely unnecessary?"

Is the flight dept. you fly for unnecessary too? Why is yours different?

GM doesn't need the most expensive Gulfstreams to fly around the domestic US. 100's of millions for planes, thats "uneccassary." The person I fly for has a foreign based company and MUST fly around the globe constantly, and only in one Gulfstream V.

Now while I don't agree with the 3 CEO's going into Congress unprepared, you cannot accurately argue that their flight depts serve no purpose. Explain to us how it makes more sense for a CEO who gets paid about $11,500 an hour to be stuck in a crappy hybrid SUV for a 525 mile drive.

Easy to explain this one.....CEO's make too much money. So Hybrids are just fine for them, they just don't think so. I bet they wished they took those Hybrids when they flew to Washington to ask for BILLIONS of our dollars.

instead of showing support, you revel in their misfortune and the fact they never saw it coming.

Not doing that at all, just saying I get pilots at such a good company "never saw this coming." If you want to make more out of that statement, knock yourself out.

They don't need a snobby shmuck to come online and brag about his severance package in front of their noses.

A severance package just means your a good business man and not just a good pilot. If all of them don't have severance from a place like GM, they really screwed the pooch on that one.
A friend of mine is getting let go from a Global job soon, he gets one years salary, $150,000. I would say he made a smart contract.

Everyone who reads more and more of your self-centered posts just come closer to the realization that you are the kind of person and pilot who does nothing for anyone else, everything for personal gain.

I tell it like it is, live with it. Or you can ignore my posts. Your choice.

How about you do everyone in the pilot community a giant favor, and just quit your job and take your shiny severance package?

When you quit a job you don't get your severance. Another pilot who didn't take Business 101, great!

Then one of the many pilots now on the street today that are actually deserving of a corporate pilot job will have their career placed back on track.

Don't get all teary eyed because pilots are on the streets, millions of people are losing their jobs everywhere, it sucks for everyone.
I'm deserving of my job, otherwise I wouldn't have it. You don't just send a resume in to this company and get a call back.

And BTW, I've received PM's from quite a few people here about help with job searches and I'm always trying to help out-of-work pilots get jobs and I have for a couple this year. So F$ck off if you don't think I care about pilots losing their jobs. My company is getting a Legacy and a GIV in February, I'll be bringing on 8 new pilots, 5 of them lost their jobs in the past 2 months. I also have 2 guys that I hardly know, interviewing with a Part 91 operator I do contract work for, I flew with them once each in the past month, both out-of-work, and I recommended to the aircraft owner to look at these guys.

So again, %$#^ off.

Wow.

Couldn't have just simply said "sorry to hear" when about 150 people were just thrown out on the street in our business today?

"dont worry, they will be just fine, if not shame on them, huh?" - what? more bragging about your job? I never met someone with a great job who had to brag about it online. Have you?

The mentality level of some in this business never ceases to amaze me, and you're as low as it gets Fly91.

Nothing like kicking $hit in these guys faces on the very day they are out of what they likely thought was a lifetime job.

Read post #49, it goes for you too.

Latest resources

Back