Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Can someone fill me in on the operational status of this aircraft and what the impressions of its performance is so far...

Good gravy people, I'm not asking you to fax me wiring schematics... :rolleyes: Just a few general thoughts.

For example...
1. Is the thing working or falling out of the sky ???
2. Is it being used in theatre or still in testing phases ???
3. Any plans on arming it like the predator ???

Depends who you talk to. However, it is running up a huge bill, and is still not "delivering the goods". It does have some good imagery capability, but no SIGINT. It sounds like the airframe is lacking capability. It can't haul enough payload, and the electrical system can't pump out any more to allow the addition of other sensors. Again, this is second hand info; I'm not very smart on GH. I believe that Northrop Grumman is not hiring anyone at this time for GH: seems like a good indication that there are problems when the system should be growing.

Jafar said:
Well I'm in the Air Force and I'm not saying it's going to replace fighters. In fact, I've yet to meet anyone in the Air Force who has made such a statement.

It's a recon platform that provides realtime imaging of various types.

Here: http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=175
What's the down the road view, though? I thought these things would eventually be able to pull enough G's that would kill a human and that, along with the diminished potential of a captured pilot, would make their entry inevitable. Is a manned fighter eventually going to be extinct?

Reference HuggyU2's message. We work (although loosely) with the GH folks and we can say that it's "just" a reconnaissance platform and it has years to go before it is as capable as other high altitude recon platforms that are out there. Having said that - Yes, it is contributing to the Global War on Terror.

You guys are mentioning pulling G's, shooting guns/missiles, and engaging in ACM. No way - that's not what it's designed for. Perhaps some OTHER unmanned vehicle will be designed to do this in coming decades, but not the GH. Just try to keep the GH seperate in your mind from other "SciFi" unmanned aerial vehicles.

Latest resources

Back