Glider Tow Pilot Accident

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

weekendwarrior

Sad day for Turf Soaring School..again. Eyewitness said that the tow plane pitched up, stalled, and spun one turn before hitting ground.

Pilot dies in plane crash

clear.gif
OAS_AD('BoxAd')http://z1.adserver.com/w/cp.x;rid=15;tid=12;ev=2;ac=33;mid=1054

The Arizona Republic
Jun. 14, 2004 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]PEORIA - A 24-year-old pilot was killed Sunday after his plane crashed. The accident occurred shortly after the plane disconnected from a glider that it had assisted in getting airborne.

The male victim, whose name was not released, was pronounced dead at the runway near Turf Soaring School, 8700 W. Carefree Highway at Pleasant Valley Airport.

Mike Tellef, a spokesman for Peoria Fire Department, said at least one person was in the glider, but no one was injured.

The pilot of the glider landed immediately after watching the single-engine tow plane go down, Tellef said. [/font]
if(ScriptsLoaded) stInit();

It had just released the glider, but only had enough altitude to spin one turn? Doesn't make sense....I'm assuming it stalled/spun on approach or immediately after takeoff(and the glider pilot was smart enough to disconnect). Neither link led to any story about it...both must be time limited.

I guess untill the tin kickers get in there and do their job we won't know what really happened. When I read this tragic story on the news this morning, it almost seemed as if there may have been a mechanical flight control malfunction or some other interference with the flight controls.

It seems as if the banner tow people tend to have their share of problems with accidents as well...I knew a banner tow bussiness owner that that lost his engine on takeoff as a direct result of his own neglect in caring for his stored car gas. He was pretty experienced, but I never will understand why he didn't cut away his banner when the engine quit.

I'm fortunate I never had to take a job towing anything from an airplane, it sounds like a dangerous job.

I used to tow gliders a few years ago. It was a lot of fun, but it could bite you in a heart beat. I was lucky enough to have to cut the glider loose one day cause the bastard got out of control behind me went way above me and pulled my tail out from under me. Next thing I know everything is flying around and have some neg g's and Im just past vertical. Nice view of the swamp and pine trees below. The plane ended up actaully flying slightly backwards. All before I could get my hand from the throttle to the rope release on the floor. It happend at like 1200 ft and I finally got back under control at about 200 ft. It sucked bad. The student was like 80 years old and was on his 2nd solo. But I still wanted to punch the dude. When the CFI asked the student what happend he said "I dunno the tow plane just disappeared" From the links I didn't see anything about a spin, but I know we used to tow at 60 mph. (old school airpseed indicator) So that slow it doesnt take much to stall, plus the glider can get you out of control in no time. Also we would tow to 2000 ft then the glider would release.

That's a shame, God bless him and his family.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back