Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Glider tow checkout in a single seat aircraft?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

Hi all I belong to a soaring club and I am close to my Commercial glider add on. They mentioned something about being checked out to tow but according to the FARs (I believe) you have to simulate or actually tow a glider with a instructor. How would this take place if the clubs only towing aircraft is a Single seat Pawnee?

Thanks

you have to find a two seat something to simulate the tow with. this is an issue that lots of pawnee exclusive clubs run into.

FWIW I wouldnt sign someone off to tow without actually having them pull a glider.

Hello. I had to use a Citabria to simulate the glider tows. Pretty much a joke. Lucky I had been around the glider port for years before towing. When moving to another operation, I had dual instruction with a bird on the back. Learned a ton more.

An individual approached an operation for whom I flew years ago. He said he had eight hundred hours of conventional gear time in his RV-4. He didn't have any time in any bigger conventional gear, and no ag time. He said he would go get some time in an AgTruck towing gliders, for the insurance. He got a single seat checkout, and managed to do three tows before he totaled the aircraft on his third landing.

Towing isn't particularly complex, as the work is really all done by the person in back. You only need to know when to cut away and to make shallow maneuvers, and how to signal...that can all be passed on with a ground briefing, really.

Do you have conventional gear experience?

Yes about 800 hours. 300 of which towing banners. I have no doubt I can tow a glider but I'll cut away if you get hairy. :)

Yes about 800 hours. 300 of which towing banners. I have no doubt I can tow a glider but I'll cut away if you get hairy. :)

avbug said:
Towing isn't particularly complex, as the work is really all done by the person in back. You only need to know when to cut away and to make shallow maneuvers, and how to signal...that can all be passed on with a ground briefing, really.

Having a keen eye for finding lift always helps too. :)

Personally, I believe someone towing gliders should be a glider pilot, just as someone tossing jumpers should be a jumper. One need not be seasoned in either discipline, but having the experience of the other man can only improve one's insight into one's own job.

I found that spending six years fighting fire on the ground helped immensely in understanding the needs of ground troops while fighting fire from the air. Likewise, experience as a glider pilot, even if just as a student taking some instruction, will be of great help to the person towing the gliders.

Most jump schools want to see their pilots have some jumps under their belt. Likewise, many glider clubs will jump at the chance to allow the tow pilot to take some instruction to better understand the tow from the glider pilot's perspective. It can't hurt.

I think the FAR mentions something about three tows as a glider pilot to get the sign off? Don't have a bible with me to look it up. It takes a special nack, to tow the gliders. With out good feed back from the dope on the rope. You will never learn the small things that make the diffrence. I fly banners also. Which also takes a special nack to learn. NO Nothing, Willing to learn everything works great. Have fun!!! Some of the best yank and bank you can do and still get paid.

Latest resources

Back