Glider/Sailplane guys ??????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

I've got a guy I'm give instruction for his comm sel in his 182 who would also like to get his sailplane ratings. He said he'd like to get comm sailplane not that he wants to get paid to fly (power or glider) but he just likes being licensed to comm standards.

The reason I'm asking here is he's a big guy (300 give or take a few pounds). I could point him to several operators up here but I don't know what type of epuipment he needs to seek out. I don't think the standard 2-33 will cut it. I'm thinking maybe a blank (sp) or some other type may hold him and an instructor.

Any help/suggestions from guys who know sailplanes.

I don't have much time in gliders and no rating, not that I don't want to its just that we commuter guys arent exactly made of $$.

Thanks

300#'s huh, I hope he finds some good thermals.

I'm 6'4" 240 and I feel very comfortable in the Blanik L23 and Grob 103. The only person that ever comes with me is my wife and at 110#'s we're within the W&B envelope but just barely.

The only glider I can think of is the SGS 2-32 (not sure about flying solo from the front seat). You are right, unless he can find a 100 lbs instructor the 2-33 will not cut it.
A lot of newer gliders are designed around a maximum seat weight of 110 kg (~242 pounds).

Thanks Ventus, 501261.

I checked out the SGS 2-32 and found data to be EW=831, GW=1340 so UL=509 so this guy could get away with a 150 or so pound instructor. The only thing is it also says there were only 87 built so finding a school with one may be hard.

He won't be able to fit in the Blanik let alone be within W&B for the front seat.

The guy has some $$?

Hey there,

If the guy has some extra cash lying around, tell him to take a week's vacation in Hawaii. Dillingham airfield on the north shore of Oahu has two operations that do instruction -- Soar Hawaii and Mr. Bill's I think. Both operations have the SGS-232. I did my glider add on there and it was fantastic! Talk about beautiful scenery... couldn't count all the colors in the water. You can hop off tow at 1000 feet and stay up all day on ridge lift. Good luck.

Dragger

Latest resources

Back