Glider Reg Question......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lilah

The other day a GCFI told me a 200' rope break with a 180 turn to land didn't count towards flight currency. I asked him if this was a specific reg, to which the answer was "yes, but I don't know where it is, you look it up".

Anybody have any ideas? (more specifically, ideas and cited regs)

Thanks in advance!

Lilah

It's a takeoff and a landing. It counts for landing currency.

May have been confusing the requirement for each solo flight that is to be applied to a Private(10) or Commercial(20) add-on include a 360-degree turn. 180-degree turns from a rope break would not apply. The Feds were trying, I think, to keep people from doing a bunch of 100-foot straight-line auto tows or bungee launches to satisfy their solo requirements.

Back in the day when I was Glider CFI-ing I had a student that was working on his commercial upgrade. He was very uncomfortable with rope breaks. We did numerous breaks from right after liftoff to about 500-600 feet. As he was already rated, they also counted for his total # of PIC flights required to satisfy the commercial certificate requirements. He was not an airplane pilot.

I agree with the posts above, it's a takeoff and a landing, ain't it?

The other day a GCFI told me a 200' rope break with a 180 turn to land didn't count towards flight currency. I asked him if this was a specific reg, to which the answer was "yes, but I don't know where it is, you look it up".

Anybody have any ideas? (more specifically, ideas and cited regs)

Thanks in advance!

Lilah

The confusion comes from the reg that the takeoffs and landings required for certification require "flight in the pattern", and the glider BFR requirement can be satisfied by flights to pattern altitude.

On a personal level, my glider currency expired last week :-( Too busy flying to do any flying.

Latest resources

Back