Glasses vs. Contact Lenses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Accuview Advance lens are AWESOME!!!!

I have a thyroid problem which makes my eyes very dry. I started with the Advance lens about 5 months ago and have no problems with dry eyes. I very rarly have to blink to reposition the lens and they are extreamely comfortable.

www.contacts.com has a great price

I'm using the same lenses; they're the best I've ever used. Other lenses would drive me crazy after about 10 hours -- it was to the point that I'd commute to work, and put them in just before start time, because otherwise I couldn't make it comfortably through the evening. These are good for about 15 hours for me; I'm totally satisfied with them.

I got them from the same place you did. Ordered another year's supply just before my prescription (still good for me) expired. Great product.

The solution you use with them has a big impact on the wearability, too. I had been using the AMO "Complete" stuff for a while, with very good results, but at ~$7 a bottle, it's expensive. So I tried the $2/bottle multipurpose stuff from Target. My eyes started stinging within an hour, and got dry. Complete is slippery; it makes a huge difference.

NYCPilot said:
I presently wear contacts when I fly. Sometimes, when they’ve been in too long especially after a long day, by the nighttime my vision tends to get a little hazy due to the dryness. Usually it isn’t a problem during the day, but at night there is a little haloing effect I notice. My medical stipulates that I must carry a pair of glasses with me at all times in order to exercise my airman privileges, which I do.

Just wondering if anyone else relies more on their contacts than glasses, and their opinions on them while flying.

Also, do the regionals/airlines prefer that you wear glasses instead of contacts while flying. I imagine the constant exposure to the A/C creates a very dry atmosphere in the cockpit that may dry out your eyes with the potential risk of a contact popping out. Not sure if this can happen though, as it’s never happened to me. Also, if you experience a decompression, could this be an issue too.

One thing nice about contacts is that you can see better overall compared to glasses due to the entire coverage of your eye. You can also wear sunglasses over them, rather than having specially fitted tinted lenses.

One more inquiry here, are there any uncorrected vision limitations other than what the FAA requires for a 1st class.

Thanks.
Just shove red hot ice picks in your eyes, then you don't have this dillema.

Dizel8 said:
Apache,

I think your "problem" stems from the crash where the pilot were wearing a contact lens for near vision in on eye and for far vision in the other. The argument was, that it adversely affected depth perception, so that is now a no no!

Actually each eye contained the same contact, albeit ones that were bifocal - split for correcting for near on top and far on the bottom half.

Latest resources

Back