Giving IPCs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

unreal

I'm planning on trying to find a bit of freelance work while I search for an actual CFI job, and was thinking about doing BFRs, IPCs, currency flights, etc.

My question is about the IPC. I'm not instrument current myself, but does that preclude me from giving an IPC under VFR? It's probably for the best that I get an IPC myself before I go give them, but just a hypothetical situation.

unreal said:
I'm planning on trying to find a bit of freelance work while I search for an actual CFI job, and was thinking about doing BFRs, IPCs, currency flights, etc.

My question is about the IPC. I'm not instrument current myself, but does that preclude me from giving an IPC under VFR? It's probably for the best that I get an IPC myself before I go give them, but just a hypothetical situation.

nope, dont need to be current to give a IPC in VFR. You do need the CFII

Magic1872 said:
you do not need the CFII to do an IPC. You can do those as CFI.

That doesn't make much sense. The wording in the FARs is that it can be done by an "authorized instructor," which considering what an IPC entails, would require a CFII.

Could anyone else give 2 cents on this?

The way I understand it is that a CFI can do the ground portion only of an IPC.

unreal said:
That doesn't make much sense. The wording in the FARs is that it can be done by an "authorized instructor," which considering what an IPC entails, would require a CFII.

Could anyone else give 2 cents on this?
You're right. It doesn't make sense and it's wrong. A CFII is needed for an IPC.

BTW, Steve is also right - you don't need to be current.

Latest resources

Back