• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Giving instruction in planes from flight schools you're not employed at

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Think about it like this... would you as a CFI at a school be real happy if some dude came in and was taking money out of your pocket, giving instruction in your schools a/c? Not to mention that while you're using the a/c, thats time they CAN'T use them. You're double screwing them... great way to make a bad name for yourself REAL quick. I'd advise against it without explicit agreement from the school and the instructors trying to make a living.

flyf15 said:
I'm personally interested in just doing occasional work with friends, family, and previous students of mine... no new students, no rating bound students, etc. Anyone have any suggestions?

Forget the schools. Look into any local podunk flying club, they're more likely to let an interloper like that in. Be frank with them.

flyf15 said:
I wonder what schools around here allow you to get checked out as a contract instructor...hmm.
Where is "here?" It makes a difference. Uneven application, interpretation, and enforcement of employment laws means that there are areas where CFIs are generally employees, others where they are generally independents, and other areas where you will find a mix.

The places that use independents, while they are still interested in protecting their own and have the same insurance issues, have a bit more flexibility (even if just because adding someone new doesn't add social security, unemployment, and other financial burdens) and may be willing to add a complete independent who is only bringing in his own students.

All previous points aside, should an incident or accident take place the legal ramifications and legal fees will far outweigh any number of years of instruction/flight hours obtained from such an arrangement. I would not do it.

At my flight school. . .we frown upon it. The instructor has to be checked out and will be responsible for big fatty deductible,and similarly, the student would have to be checked out, and would be responsible for the big fat deductible. Not only that, but any errors a student can make will be blamed upon none other than the CFI. A gray area in our policies, but generally we don't "check out" student pilots and we would catch on and put it to a halt.

We didn't care about freelance instructors at our school as long as they completed the checkout requirements (fill out the aircraft questions form, copies of everything, submit name of first born), and didn't crash the planes.

This year our insurance company inserted a line about "must be in the employ" and an aircraft manufacturer added a line about "must supervise all instruction" in our recognized instructor designations. The only other insurance option was "dual only" on anything other than the low performance trainer. Now we're required to have written rental agreements, written leaseback and aircraft management agreements, and the renters must have rental insurance that covers the deductible on all aircraft.

The insurance world changed when we started talking about new airplanes instead of 1970s versions.

Read the policies carefully before attempting instruction in an airplane not part of your school. You as CFI will be held as PIC and the insurance companies are looking for an easy way out. Don't assume that the 'open pilot' policy on a private owner's airplane will protect you. It provides for replacement of the hull of the airplane, not your passengers or your medical expenses.

Walk in with your eyes wide open and be prepared to say no if you have no coverage. One client, one BFR, one IPC, it's not worth it.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

JediNein said:
Walk in with your eyes wide open and be prepared to say no if you have no coverage. One client, one BFR, one IPC, it's not worth it.
...and, with very rare exceptions, the only way for a CFI to have coverage is to buy a CFI policy. You =may= have coverage if you are on the approved CFI list at an FBO (rare, but it happens). But I can almost guarantee that you do =not= have coverage if you are teaching in someone's personal airplane. no matter whether you are an "open pilot" a "named pilot" or a "named additional insured" with or without a waiver of subrogation.

check6 said:
Define "contract instructor" ????
Generally means an instructor who works at an FBO or flight school as an independent contractor rather than as a direct employee of the company. The term "contract *****" is used in many occupations and professions with the same general meaning,

If I found out someone was teaching out of the FBO I worked at, I'd turn your A** in to the owner of the FBO so fast your head would spin. Additionally, I would let all the local school's know who you were, and inform them of your attempt to "keep them out of the loop". Flight instructors who attempt this type of dishonesty need to have thier privilages revoked. Not only are you stealing work form the schools CFI's, but you are also breaking the FBO's policy and more than likely voiding thier insurance if something were to happen and you got caught. Why don't you just ask them to hire you so that you could use thier planes legitimately?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back