GII, GIIB, GIII differences...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WW24dude said:
..I can't keep them straight. Can someone post the differences in appearance and/or pics?

Thanks
Look at the cockpit windows, then look at the wingtips.
6 windows (2 side, 2 little "dv", two forward) = GII
4 windows (only side and forward) = GIII

Now, the fun part. If it has been identified as a GII, look at the wingtips. No winglets, then it's a straight GII. Winglets, with real sharp upturn at the root of the winglet, it's a GIIB (the best of the bunch). If the winglets have a real smooth, graceful upturn at the root, it's a GIISP..an aftermarket conversion. Occasionally you will see one with tip tanks...a GIIT (not many around).
There are several other visual cues, but the above mention are the quickest and easiest.

WW24dude said:
..I can't keep them straight. Can someone post the differences in appearance and/or pics?

Thanks
I haven't flown any of em but here's my shot...

GII: No winglets
GIISP: A GIII wing (I think) on a GII. The are 3 cockpit windows per side on the GII series and 2 per side on the GIII series on up.

GIII: Winglets, 2 cockpit windows per side, spey turbofan

GIV: I think slightly larger than the GIII, but the giveaway are the large Tay turbofans as opposed to the skinney Speys on the GII/GIII

GV: very long GIV, most (if not all) have an upturned vert. stab., not sure what equip. goes in there.

Do I need to explain what a GI looks like? ;)

All the correct answers

suen1843 said:
Look at the cockpit windows, then look at the wingtips.
6 windows (2 side, 2 little "dv", two forward) = GII
4 windows (only side and forward) = GIII

Now, the fun part. If it has been identified as a GII, look at the wingtips. No winglets, then it's a straight GII. Winglets, with real sharp upturn at the root of the winglet, it's a GIIB (the best of the bunch). If the winglets have a real smooth, graceful upturn at the root, it's a GIISP..an aftermarket conversion. Occasionally you will see one with tip tanks...a GIIT (not many around).
There are several other visual cues, but the above mention are the quickest and easiest.

This is all basically correct information.

Crash-Proof has a few errors.

Here's the correct stuff:

G-II - no winglets, six flat-plate cockpit windows

G-IIB - GII with a retrofitted G-III wing - adds substantial fuel and efficiency to the G-II

G-IISP - G-II with an STC for blended winglets by Aviation Partners. They claim increased efficiency benefits but no one really seems to be able to agree how much. Another HUGE difference between the G-IIB and the G-IISP is that when damaged, one or both winglets on a GIIB can be removed and the aircraft returned to service without it/them - per the CDL. This cannot be done on the G-IISP.

G-III - Looks a lot like a G-II/IIB but has four-panel curved wrap around windscreens. Has the same five windows down the side as a G-II/IIB.

G-IV - Six windows down the side and big high-bypass ratio trubofan RR-Tays instead of the little pinner Speys.

Now for the big trivia question: Anyone know how to tell an AC powered G-III from a DC powered G-III?

TIS

WW24dude said:

Thanks
Bro .....no offence
They are Gulfstreams and the only difference you need to keep straight is that they are the best f@#$ng airplane in the sky today period

TIS said:
This is all basically correct information.

Crash-Proof has a few errors.

Here's the correct stuff:

G-II - no winglets, six flat-plate cockpit windows

G-IIB - GII with a retrofitted G-III wing - adds substantial fuel and efficiency to the G-II

G-IISP - G-II with an STC for blended winglets by Aviation Partners. They claim increased efficiency benefits but no one really seems to be able to agree how much. Another HUGE difference between the G-IIB and the G-IISP is that when damaged, one or both winglets on a GIIB can be removed and the aircraft returned to service without it/them - per the CDL. This cannot be done on the G-IISP.

G-III - Looks a lot like a G-II/IIB but has four-panel curved wrap around windscreens. Has the same five windows down the side as a G-II/IIB.

G-IV - Six windows down the side and big high-bypass ratio trubofan RR-Tays instead of the little pinner Speys.

Now for the big trivia question: Anyone know how to tell an AC powered G-III from a DC powered G-III?

TIS
You make it to easy bro!....in a word ......VSCF Baby:rolleyes:

More differences...between a GIV and a GV

- GIV has windshield wipers, and the G-V doesn't.
- GIV USUALLY has silver TRs, GV are USUALLY painted same color as engine cowling.

-GV USUALLY pays better than GIV

trivia answer

Tis,

As to your trivia question on the AC vs DC question. The tell tale second larger scoop on the engine nacelle for generator cooling has to be the single easiest, after that ...now Im digging, I believe that the AC version has a different APU exhaust plate, due to its ability to be used in flight as opposed to the DC version.

Otter said:
Tis,

As to your trivia question on the AC vs DC question. The tell tale second larger scoop on the engine nacelle for generator cooling has to be the single easiest, after that ...now Im digging, I believe that the AC version has a different APU exhaust plate, due to its ability to be used in flight as opposed to the DC version.

Yup! Not really a hard question but it's a good way to get newbies thikning about the planes and it ssystems.

Personally, I like the APU exhaust flashing. You can see it from a LOT further away but it's only on one side. The generator cooling intakes are a dead giveaway of a DC airplane but they're hard to see. You can, however, see them on either side of the plane.

Anyway, just alittle fun with stuff most people have no need to know.

TIS

Latest resources

Back