Gifting your way into first class on United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Missed Approach

I have an upcoming vacation to Asia and a round trip out of SFO in economy is a reasonable $82. Since UA upped the amount they charge for employees to upgrade to first/business class, they want over $800 for the trip if I upgrade.

Has anyone had luck giving the purser some gifts for the crew that resulted in a free upgrade? Anything else that typically works to get an upgrade on the cheap?

$82? Did you forget a few digits? I think if you call them "pursers" to their face that wil give you an immediate upgrade either that or give them $800 and maybe you'll get a middle seat.

And we wonder how this became such a bottom- feeder industry.

pay thr $800 it is still very cheap, look at the actual fare the normal people have to pay - don't be greedy

I have an upcoming vacation to Asia and a round trip out of SFO in economy is a reasonable $82. Since UA upped the amount they charge for employees to upgrade to first/business class, they want over $800 for the trip if I upgrade.

Has anyone had luck giving the purser some gifts for the crew that resulted in a free upgrade? Anything else that typically works to get an upgrade on the cheap?

Question: Is the $82 just the taxes that are charged, so otherwise free?

Jimmy, the "a", says "don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to "work off" that upgrade!" that flight's like 10 or 12 hours? Bring the chap stick!

KBB

Please gift the purser! We all await the results of your experiment!

A couple boxes of depends, some moth balls, a gift certificate for jenny craig, and a pack of support hose ought to do it.

I went to Asia a few month ago, off season, and first and business were full on every leg on every flight. If you can buy 1st for 800 I would jump on it.

Latest resources

Back