......getting to the majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

So after reading the comments from some people posting on the various forums who are doing dispatch....they almost make it sound like it is impossible to get on dispatching with a major airline. One person said that you easily end up working for a regional for 10 years, maxing out at $35k.
Certainly I can't imagine this to be the whole truth, right?
I mean, a lot probably depends on how much you try to get into the major airline, via making contacts, just putting your application in, letting your supervisors know you're interested in moving up, etc. etc.
It can't possibly be that no one is hiring dispatchers at the majors.....although you do never see any postings for them.
What ever happened to all of these baby boomers that were supposed to be retiring soon?

Majors...Hmmm

So after reading the comments from some people posting on the various forums who are doing dispatch....they almost make it sound like it is impossible to get on dispatching with a major airline. One person said that you easily end up working for a regional for 10 years, maxing out at $35k.
Certainly I can't imagine this to be the whole truth, right?
I mean, a lot probably depends on how much you try to get into the major airline, via making contacts, just putting your application in, letting your supervisors know you're interested in moving up, etc. etc.
It can't possibly be that no one is hiring dispatchers at the majors.....although you do never see any postings for them.
What ever happened to all of these baby boomers that were supposed to be retiring soon?

You have said a mouthful my friend...Lets go back in time, say 7 to 10 years....The regionals were and I stress "were" the training grounds for the major airline dispatchers...but even then there were very very few openings...just like today, those jobs are filled by networking between managers and friends and dispatch recomendations...

The dispatchers at the majors, are not going anywhere very soon..most have taken large paycuts as their companies try to get out of BK, or avoid it....so those that may have been considering retirement before are now staying a few more years... So now the openings are snapped up internaly or filled with lightning speed by drawer fulls of applicants being pushed up by internal contacts...no need to advertise much...

The word major is now associated with success, not so much the money as in the golden days. SWA, Airtran, JB, to name a few...they hire once in awile but the have there same old ways of selecting and very high experience requirements 5 to 8 years of 121 desk time is probably not far off...also you can expect to make about $30k to start there...getting to the $60's to $70's area in 10 to 15 years...no more 6 figures....

So getting back to the regional dispatchers...since the majors have so few openings, the regional are no longer just a stepping stone, they have become more of a career...this goes for the Pilots as well...you see there posts all the time running the same theme as this one....Way back when I was with a DElta owned regional..we were flat told, there was no flow through to Delta..none....that was way before 911...so dont expect it to be better these days....it's not. I am a big advocate to see this change as my son is entering the regional dispatch market, I believe the regionals should make themself more attractive as a career destination instead of treating all their employess as temporary workers...give them all a reason to remain loyal and stay for the duration....

I was one of the last lucky ones to transition from a Regional to several cargo carriers then on to majors position through the application process, that was 9 years ago...In that time I have seen just a small number if new hires....I dx buddy of mine at UAL says they have hired alot of FIC's over the past few years, but they are pretty stuck in that position...(FIC= Flight information clerks) the pay around 40 up to the 50's in time....

Good luck in your search

NWA has hired at least 10 in the last 5 months, a couple of those were recalls. I know for sure that 2 of them have ZERO or close to zero experience Dispatching. One was hired straight from Dx school. So if you're willing to put up with the BS at a major... the opportunities are out there!

What?

There are plenty of majors hiring from time to time. I have made a big leap myself. The list would be shorter who is not hiring. Needs lot of research and effort put into it.

Last edited:
I worked at 3 regionals and a cargo carrier for a total of 10 years before I was offered a job at a major. I might have been able to get hired earlier than that. I don't know because I never really did a full job search. I didn't network, nor did I know anybody at a major. I would just check the airline's employment web page from time to time and apply when I saw an opening. I also used AEPS earlier in my career. Instead of networking, I focused on developing my skills and credentials. I didn't just dispatch. I also spent three years as an instructor/check dispatcher, and another couple of years as a supervisor. My thinking was that it is a diverse resume that gets pulled from the pile. It worked for me. I have either interviewed, or been offered jobs, at Air Tran, Alaska, Continental, Southwest, and UPS.

....cargo

I would love to work for UPS or Fedex....that is like my dream job....I just NEVER see postings for them hiring dispatchers. I have heard for UPS at least you have to already work for the company sorting boxes or something first. I work with a guy who used to sort boxes for them back in high school, and he is thinking that could be his way in to their dispatch center....anyone have an inside information on this?

UPS, at least awhile ago was hiring quite regularly. The key is you have to start as a Notams clerk. You could be in this postion for a month or a year, but I think even they make mid 30's. A DX starts at 50k and can top out at over 100k.... Fed Ex is very hard to get on at, in fact you rarely see anyone from there post on these boards....

Latest resources

Back