Getting to NRT (Tokyo)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASH

Hey all. Question for anybody in the know. Have an offer from Air Japan on the 76. Only benefits are on Star alliance carriers ( Zed fairs ). I live in Houston.....CAL's not star alliance. Is their a way to get an ID-90, Zed, or other travel bennie on CAL that you know of? Their is NO way I am double DH'ding through ORD on Yo'nited to Tokyo:puke:. Not even for 685K for 5 years. Not worth it. Anyone have any plausible commuting options IAH-NRT??? Interested, but not at the sake of my family. I gotta have a one legger.

Full fair and deduct the whole thing. You will have to do it for sure during the summer season and around the holidays anyway, no way you will make it during those days on standby tickets.

ZED agrements seem to be a little strange at Air Japan. Typically, a ZED ticket is valid on any ZED carrier but here, you are limited to only 4 carriers per ticket. CO, as well as AA and NW are Zed carriers, but for some reason we do not have an agreement with them. According to the manual, the only carrier that Air Japan has interline agreements with going to the US is United(and of course ANA).

Over the last 6 years at my previous job, I have done well over 100 segments using ZED / ID 90 tickets and I never got stuck. Sometimes it took some very creative ticketing (meaning around the world in the opposite direction), but you can always make it work if you plan ahead and are flexable. Of course, this causes an increase in transit time and less time at home.

While I am no fan of United, they are the best way to get to Japan from most of the US. You could very easily get from Houston to Chicago and probably fairly cheaply if you planned ahead and bought a confirmed ticket. You then have 2 UA flights a day from Chicago plus an NH (ANA) flight that you could use ZED tickets on. Other options are getting to SFO, LAX, or SEA also having 1 to 2 flights daily to NRT on UA and NH.

That being said, if you cannot do a multi-leg commute, you will have to buy a ticket or look elsewhere. Houston would be easierto commute from if you were able to do a 2 leg commute but I totally understand your reasoning.

** take my opinion with a grain of salt. I am still here in training and dont have any actual experience using ZEDs here at AJX. It shouldnt be much different than any other carrier though.

You could actually fly to SAN, go over to TIJ and take AEROMEXICO's three time weekly service to NRT. Something like 1000 bucks round trip i think or get a ZED with them. Good luck.

I'm in NRT now for the interview I second what someone else said about UAL thru one of the west coast hubs. I live in DFW and the 2 a day direct on AA would be great.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back