• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting to know You? SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone who is not happy with the hire rate at the airlines needs to look at other professions. It's not any better there, maybe worse. When times are good hiring folks have the opportunity to hire more. These are not good times......

FlyAuburn said:
So you ask because of my profile? For your info., I have worked at SWA. I know the culture. Hell, I'll go out on the limb and say that I know more people in Flight Ops than you do. But, that's besides the point. The fact is that it's not just the culture factor like you say. Great people have been turned down at SWA - just admit it. It's like that everywhere.
Don't judge a book by its cover.

Noted. If that limb you're on snaps and causes you to fall, and you break both of your legs, don't come running to me :)

...and how long were you at SWA?

Juvat said:
Noted. If that limb you're on snaps and causes you to fall, and you break both of your legs, don't come running to me :)

...and how long were you at SWA?

why do you even care? Is it just me, but you seem a bit arrogant? What do I know? I can't give you that info. Sorry.

FlyAuburn said:
I know of people that would fit in perfect with SWA's culture and still got turned down. There's more to it than that. Who know's what it is.
Just my 2 cents...

We got your 2 pennies, but do youi have any theories? FWIW I know folks I wished they'd hired, but I am continually impressed with the folks they are hiring.

My pet theory is that during lean times such as these folks who would normally not consider SWA decide to give it a try. These folks are highly qualified, but for what ever reason are not a great fit. In fact they'd rather be somewhere else, but those folks aren't hiring, so they interview here. The interview process tries to elliminate these folks, but unfortunatly misses out on some folks who would fit quite well.

In the end this is a great place to work, and the people we are hiring aren't any better than the ones that we aren't. We are very protective of our culture and I suspect those involved in the hiring process want to make sure we don't get over run by a bunch of highly qualified folks who just don't fit in. Te decisions they make today have a direct impact on what it is going to be like to go to work at SWA in 20 years. If you think you should get hired because of your experience or what is on your resume then I can guarantee you'll be dissappointed. I wish I knoew a simolar formula for success, but at the very least have your eyes wide open before you pay for the type.

Back to the thread topic, if you recognize that they need to like you for you to get hired, then you know you've got to let the interviewers get to know you. They can't like what they don't know. Of course that is no guarantee they'll like you, but pat answers, not making eye contact, treating non pilots with disdain, and oogling the pretty ladies are easy ways to blow your chance.

Best of luck to you all.

I'm curious, what exactly is this esoteric culture one must fit in to, that exists at SWA.

In fact what are the various cultures that exist at any airline.

btw, I'm very far from being competitive at any major or national. Just wondering what the atmosphere is at your or any other carrier.

NYCPilot said:
I'm curious, what exactly is this esoteric culture one must fit in to, that exists at SWA.

In fact what are the various cultures that exist at any airline.

btw, I'm very far from being competitive at any major or national. Just wondering what the atmosphere is at your or any other carrier.

I think you've figured out just how hard this can be to get a hold of. Imho if you are trying to "fit into" a culture you are not a good fit. The culture is something you are part of, it is not some static unchanging thing.

I think of it more in terms of "would you enjoy working in that environment?" Not all SWA pilots help clean the cabin, not everyone tells jokes or smiles at the passengers. I know lots of folks who put their heads down and charge toward the next gate, hoping that no one will ask them a question. Culture does't mean that we all act the same or are the same. But it does mean that lots of pilots do these things and more. Are you going to feel that it is degrading the profession when the Captain you flew with last week is working on the ramp this week? Are you going to roll your eyes and sigh when the FA sings or tells jokes? Working here is pretty laid back. Not every body would like that: I hardly ever get called "sir", a lot of times I do things that aren't my job (clean the cabin, lift bags, push wheel chairs etc) and no one says "thanks." But no one minds that I travel with a guitar, let kids in the cockpit, don't wear a hat, or wear oakleys. Sometimes I buy FAs lunch, sometimes the Captain buys me a starbucks. I don't like everybody I work with, just almost everybody. I am sure that I could have been happy at any airline, but I really feel like SWA is "home", I don't fit in so much as I feel like family. I hope this helps paint a picture.

FlyAuburn said:
why do you even care? Is it just me, but you seem a bit arrogant? What do I know? I can't give you that info. Sorry.

Me arrogant? Naw! I'm only the 4th best pilot in the WORLD, and I'll be the first to admit it.

Dude, it's okay, you can tell us how many weeks you drove the SWA lav cart. There's no shame in that. Why are you so defensive? We just want to learn your real opinions about airline culture, not the two cents you gave previously that has little relevance to the original topic of discussion here.

FlyAuburn said:
So you ask because of my profile? For your info., I have worked at SWA. I know the culture. Hell, I'll go out on the limb and say that I know more people in Flight Ops than you do. But, that's besides the point. The fact is that it's not just the culture factor like you say. Great people have been turned down at SWA - just admit it. It's like that everywhere.
Don't judge a book by its cover.

Are you one of the former participants in the intern program?

Latest resources

Back