Getting the Young People Involved

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
David,

You're a private pilot, I believe. Be careful with the auctioned time. Whether you get compensated personally, the matter can run you afoul of the FAA and can result in certificate action. It's happened before, when even the best of intentions ended up being used against individuals.

Although I've never been a member, how about looking into the Boy Scouts. They seem like an organization that might embrace aviation involvement. Maybe even the Girl Scouts for that matter. Check out the local YMCA's, Youth Clubs and the like.

Right now isn't an ideal time to try recruiting young pilots (unless they're affluent) as most parents won't be paying for luxury like flight lessons, especially at these prices in our faltering economy. Perhaps encourage them to take a first step with some MSFS stuff. See if one of these organizations can invest in a nice PC-basedsimulator withthe pedals and stack to help spark interest in taking real lessons. also, get a bunch of those intro flight certificates to hand out.

Last edited:
David,

You're a private pilot, I believe. Be careful with the auctioned time. Whether you get compensated personally, the matter can run you afoul of the FAA and can result in certificate action. It's happened before, when even the best of intentions ended up being used against individuals.

David, If you're a member of AOPA, you may want to seek advice from them in terms of the legalities of autioning your time. Like Avbug said, you can get violated if not structured properly. Remember, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Latest resources

Back