Getting ready....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fly Navy. The best always have.

My dad did the military route (but that was a LONG time ago, 1953-1965): NavCads (doesn't exist anymore), Navy Fighters, Pan Am, United in the 1985 buyout.

I did the civilian route: College, Flight Lessons on the side all 4 years, Flight Instructed for 1 year, regionals for 4 years (2 of them), LCC for 1.5 years, CAL for 3 months, FedEx currently.

Don't what I'd tell a kid these days.

If you do the civilian route try to get hired at a growing carrier. Whether it's your first regional airline job or your next step, aim for a growing carrier. Every civilian pilot I know that has had a happy career got hired fairly young at a growing carrier.

Here is an example... I used to work with a regional captain that bombed interviews at three major airlines in 1999. He then got hired at JetBlue. Jetblue was a brand new carrier and all his buddies warned him not to take the job. He took the job anyhow, upgraded to captain in less than a year and then made a pile of money on stock options. He now sits at the top of the seniority list.

Another example... Flew on the jumpseat of an American flight and the captain said he got hired their in the early 1980's when american had a B scale. All his friends told him not to take the job because it was a terrible airline to work for. American then had a big growth spurt and he upgraded at american after only two years. The guy is a millionair and has a great schedule.

Another example... anyone hired at southwest 1970's through 2000. Up until 9/11 southwest was few pilot's favorite airline, but they were growing and pilot's hired there had a great ride.

Same story for early FedEx and UPS pilots.

Military - period. There is no where else where you can fly supersonic, pull G's, and make some great life long friendships with a true bond of brotherhood.

No flame - I'm being 100% honest. Flying fighters has been one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things I've ever done in my life.

I hope it's not something like what your avatar is showing; Chavez and Ahmadinejad. That sure is making me sick.

Latest resources

Back