getting out of aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Forget nursing. I'm going Truckmaster! :laugh:

Leaving this sausage fest for nursing? More pay, more....'company'.

I dream of cutting the chain. Instead of debating nursing, why not post
other careers that parallels the the skills and knowledge of aviation.
(or even careers that don't)

I'll leave the industry in a heartbeat as soon as I figure out what I want to do.
....and I'll never look back.

CE

Don't lose faith....there ARE good aviation jobs out there. I've got one. The industry is in a downturn right now. It'll come back up.....it's just a matter of time. The days of the $300K a year DC-10 captain are gone forever, but you can still make mid 100's to 200's in both corporate and airlines.

Crimson Eclipse
Yea right truck driving, what a great bunch of people to have a conversation with. That is the hard part. Everytime you pass an airport, you will try to convince yourself you made the right move, it might work for awhile, but it is in your blood now, like being a vampire, only certain things are going to satisfy that thirst.
I tried that route, thats why I say this. If you give up, find something you would like to do better, that is really more rewarding with out having to really ask if it is.

X man said:
Crimson Eclipse
Everytime you pass an airport, you will try to convince yourself you made the right move, it might work for awhile, but it is in your blood now, like being a vampire, only certain things are going to satisfy that thirst.

You sound like my crack dealer...except you didn't say "first one's free"

CE

You will never be able to leave aviation.....everytime you hear an airplane, you will look up at it and say to someone "I use to (do whatever) on those planes"

You'll be back!!!!

Gatorman said:
You will never be able to leave aviation.....everytime you hear an airplane, you will look up at it and say to someone "I use to (do whatever) on those planes"

You'll be back!!!!

HAHA! I already say that followed by "thank god I don't have to do it anymore!" Your right I can't get away from aviation, I'm looking forward to getting out of nursing school and going for one of those hundred dollar hamburgers I hear so much about. You know the ones that you fly somewhere to eat JUST FOR FUN!!!

Good luck with the nursing school. I did nursing school while flying for a 135 mostly summer operation. Was the best thing I ever did.

After 1 year working in an ER....right out of school mind you...no pay for training either...actually they gave me $2000 if I promised to stay a year...which I did....I then got hired by a "commuter" FO pay was tough but $250.00 a day as a per-diem nurse made the difference....now I am a captain at the same company.....The QOL of life is good at my company....I made $55,000 at the airline and $10,000 at the RN job...averaged to 3 days a month at the hospital...not too bad since my average days off at the airline was 12-14 days....I even had the oportunity to work 4 hours in the morning at the hospital and still work at the airline that night so sometimes it did not even eat into the days off....

To my point though...one of my RN friends i graduated with made $58,000 nursing with an average of 1 day a week overtime...so I actually made more as the Pilot/RN....with a lot less work.

Trust me flying an approach to minimums...even in ICE in the winter is a lot easier than working your third cardiac arrest on an eight year old car accident patient....in a busy ER an eight hour shift is a lot harder than a 16 hour day in the cockpit....at least when the door is closed and I am on my 6th leg of the day I can have peace and quiet of just me and my FO....

But do the nursing school...you may come back to aviation...but you will have the backup of nursing...a great peace of mind...when I hear of possible layoffs etc...I say to myself who cares I will just go back to an ER and have a great career there....

Oh and being a man in nursing is like being a female in the aviation realm...no offense to the gals but we all know that in aviation if a male interviews with an equally qualified female pilot...who do you think gets the job easier....same in nursing......GOOD LUCK!

PM me if you have any questions...i like to hear of other pilot/nurses

Actual nursing salaries: https://payflow.hodes.com/nbhd/

Looking for a CRNA that wants to be less than one hour to Charleston West Virginia doing all types of anesthesia working with 8 other CRNA’s and 5 anesthesiologists starting salary is between $130,000 and $150,000 with a $5,000 sign on bonus call is one in six and there is always a day off after call this is a great job for any CRNA that wants to be in West Virginia for more information please call Dan Stasiukiewicz from All Star Recruiting 800 928 0229 or reply to [email protected]

IslandDriver said:
Good luck with the nursing school. I did nursing school while flying for a 135 mostly summer operation. Was the best thing I ever did.

After 1 year working in an ER....right out of school mind you...no pay for training either...actually they gave me $2000 if I promised to stay a year...which I did....I then got hired by a "commuter" FO pay was tough but $250.00 a day as a per-diem nurse made the difference....now I am a captain at the same company.....The QOL of life is good at my company....I made $55,000 at the airline and $10,000 at the RN job...averaged to 3 days a month at the hospital...not too bad since my average days off at the airline was 12-14 days....I even had the oportunity to work 4 hours in the morning at the hospital and still work at the airline that night so sometimes it did not even eat into the days off....

To my point though...one of my RN friends i graduated with made $58,000 nursing with an average of 1 day a week overtime...so I actually made more as the Pilot/RN....with a lot less work.

Trust me flying an approach to minimums...even in ICE in the winter is a lot easier than working your third cardiac arrest on an eight year old car accident patient....in a busy ER an eight hour shift is a lot harder than a 16 hour day in the cockpit....at least when the door is closed and I am on my 6th leg of the day I can have peace and quiet of just me and my FO....

But do the nursing school...you may come back to aviation...but you will have the backup of nursing...a great peace of mind...when I hear of possible layoffs etc...I say to myself who cares I will just go back to an ER and have a great career there....

Oh and being a man in nursing is like being a female in the aviation realm...no offense to the gals but we all know that in aviation if a male interviews with an equally qualified female pilot...who do you think gets the job easier....same in nursing......GOOD LUCK!

PM me if you have any questions...i like to hear of other pilot/nurses

Hey thanks Islanddriver, I may PM you in the future. You have the same attitude towards it as I do. Like I've said in previous post, I still love aviation, I just don't want to depend on it for a living. It sounds like you have the best of both worlds. Also, in my expieriance if an employer knows that you don't have to take any crap, because of other good income, then they don't tend to give you as much crap!

Latest resources

Back