getting noticed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Unwound

hello everyone. Here is my situation: I have applied to a 91 job I really want (dream job) in the location and equiptment I want to fly. BUT, I do not have any contacts in the company. My question is, how does someone (an outsider) start the networking process with a company they don't know anyone at? Any info would be a great help!

Thanks!

I would go to the specific company and talk to the D.O., Chief pilot, and whoever else may be around. Great way to get yourself known. Good luck to you.

Unwound said:
hello everyone. Here is my situation: I have applied to a 91 job I really want (dream job) in the location and equiptment I want to fly. BUT, I do not have any contacts in the company. My question is, how does someone (an outsider) start the networking process with a company they don't know anyone at? Any info would be a great help!

Thanks!

I agree. Simply call up and ask to talk to the chief pilot. Tell him you would like to drop off a resume and say HI if he has a free moment....simple.

If no response...I would try again in a few months.

Be careful about "dropping by" -- I know many companies where that is a huge no-no. Im not sure why as it was a traditional way of passing out resumes....but its just not considered proper biz etiquette many places anymore....so I would get appointments.

I agree with the above statement about avoiding an unannounced drop-in unless you have evidence that it's acceptable at the company you are visiting. Often times the hangar office staff is minimal so the workload is hectic. It's not that they won't like you it's just that they may not have the time or inclination to do much more than take your resume and put it in the same stack as all the rest. I've done it with mixed results and rarely made it past the receptionist/gate keeper.

Cold calling via the phone is much more acceptable but be prepared to end up speaking to the CP's voicemail.

It can't hurt to try!!!!!

I guess I'm a little different than the CPs mentioned above. While I don't like drop-ins unannounced, I have appreciated the opportunity to meet pilots in person rather than just receive an unsolicited resume. All resumes I receive, unless the cover letter mentions a friend of a current or former pilot, are sent to the circular file. However, if someone takes the time to call me and stop by, they've risen above the faxed, unsolicited resumes just because of shear determination. If they are clean cut, look good in a suit, have good manners, poise, and a positive demeanor (skyline comes to mind...) then I'll try to find a position for them. Of course they need to meet a certain experience level, but I'm usually willing to come down on minimums when the applicant has a certain eagerness and enthusiasm.

My biggest turnoff is a negative attitude. Skyline are you reading this? ;)

I would call in and try to get an invite unless you have knowledge that a drop in is acceptable. My rule of thumbs is that if they have a gate that you must be buzzed through, you probably will need to call ahead.

I also suggest calling ahead and trying to get a verbal agreement that it is okay to stop by, 1 you don't want to intrude, 2 The CP may tell you to come by when he/she is availbale to speak for a moment. After the drop off always call a day or two later to check in/thank the CP. Also just being a airport bumb helps, just being around is a good way to meet people. You never know who knows what and who.

Ace-of-the-Base said:
Buy me a few jelly doughnuts and you've got a good shot at the job.

Ace

Now why isn't anyone in my area this easy?

I accept tequila and chocolate...:)

Latest resources

Back