getting my A&P

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

socal_pilot

hi im taking my cfi check ride next week and im really looking forward to teaching. i want to stay in southern california and have no desire what so ever to move up to a regional. i want try to get a sweet corporate gig at my home base and was wondering if it was worth it to get my a&p. i just finished my degree at miramar cc in san diego and i know they have an awesome program, would it be worth the 2 1/2 years of work or would it seriously help. thanks

i just finished my degree at miramar cc in san diego and i know they have an awesome program, would it be worth the 2 1/2 years of work or would it seriously help.

Would it seriously help what?

Are you asking if obtaining your mechanic certificate would help you get a corporate pilot job? If so, then you're probably barking up the wrong tree.

Are you hoping to go from flight instructing to a "sweet corporate gig?" You may also be in for a surprise.

If you want to obtain your mechanic certificate to learn more about aircraft and become a better pilot, broaden your understanding, gain new work skills, and open other avenues of employment, then you're a good candidate for maintenance training. If you're looking to pick it up to boost your resume, then you're probably setting yourself back a year or two that could be spent flying cargo or gaining other experience that will get you into the job you want.

Chances are that you're not going to sit at home, instruct for a year or two, and find a corporate job in your back yard. Chances are that you're going to have to move several times to be closer to work while you gain the experience you need, and begin to work to put yourself in a position where you are able to make choices like where you'll work, and for whom you'll work.

You can obtain a mechanic certificate in more ways than going to school, though that's a good place to start.

Would it seriously help what?

Are you asking if obtaining your mechanic certificate would help you get a corporate pilot job? If so, then you're probably barking up the wrong tree.

Are you hoping to go from flight instructing to a "sweet corporate gig?" You may also be in for a surprise.

If you want to obtain your mechanic certificate to learn more about aircraft and become a better pilot, broaden your understanding, gain new work skills, and open other avenues of employment, then you're a good candidate for maintenance training. If you're looking to pick it up to boost your resume, then you're probably setting yourself back a year or two that could be spent flying cargo or gaining other experience that will get you into the job you want.

Chances are that you're not going to sit at home, instruct for a year or two, and find a corporate job in your back yard. Chances are that you're going to have to move several times to be closer to work while you gain the experience you need, and begin to work to put yourself in a position where you are able to make choices like where you'll work, and for whom you'll work.

You can obtain a mechanic certificate in more ways than going to school, though that's a good place to start.
This is good advice.

I am a corporate pilot that has my a&p. I worked in the airlines as a technician and decided to start flying. My a&p did help me get my first corporate gig, and my second one as a first officer/ mech. However when all the flying was done at 11:30 pm and the pilots had the next 2or 3 days off, guess who was there at 7:00 am until 4:00 pm doing maintenance?

I made only about 5000 more than the other f/o,s and worked a lot more.

I now fly a large cabin a/c and the company I work for has no use for my a&p. I have on occasion got the a/c home due to my a&p, and as they say no good deed goes unpunished. The ex-airline pilots all have chips on their shoulders when I do it.

Do I have a better understanding of systems? Yes.

Since you started in flying continue. On slow days go into the shop and try to learn.

Unless you have pictures of someone, you more than likely will have to move.

Good luck.

The corporate pilots I know with an A&P keep it quiet around the hanger so they don't get cought up in the other side with all the conflicts of interest and extra work involved. You know us pilots, lazy in nature and all...

Latest resources

Back