Getting medical early

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ultrarunner

My medical runs out end of Nov. I called and scheduled it for this month. The scheduler said the "FAA doesn't like it when you get it done early".

I said tough $hit, and unless there is an FAR forbidding it, I'm coming in since I have the time.

So, what is the scheduler talking about. It's not like I'm going in 6, 9 or 12 months early...I'm going in a few weeks early on my first-class.

what gives?

Yeah, it is weird...and this is the third occurance I have been told this. It does beg the question however, and that is: I wonder if the FAA is databasing those of us that are going in a month "early" for medicals.

Things that make you go hmmmmm......

I am wracking my mind trying to come up with a single reason where getting your medical early would be a problem. It's not like you're trying to cheat on your medical either, you are just going in when it's convenient.
When you go, ask them why it's such a big deal to come in a month early. I'm curious now!

Yeah, I'll be there in a couple of days, and I'll put them on the spot about it. They sure do discourage the early-bird, that's for sure.

Never heard of that one. I've had several occasions to get mine early, where maybe I'll be out of the country, or my AME will be on vacation,etc., and never heard a peep from anyone.

ultrarunner said:
My medical runs out end of Nov. I called and scheduled it for this month. The scheduler said the "FAA doesn't like it when you get it done early".

I said tough $hit, and unless there is an FAR forbidding it, I'm coming in since I have the time.

So, what is the scheduler talking about. It's not like I'm going in 6, 9 or 12 months early...I'm going in a few weeks early on my first-class.

what gives?

This place wouldn't be in ROC would it?

I have had the same problem. One time I called because I'd be in town and I like that particular doctor, so I figured I'd get it done while I was there. The receptionist gave me grief because it was 2 months before it was due. After a little back and forth, I got her to let me schedule.

I can't think of any reason why going early would be a problem.

What would happen to your current medical if you went in a month early and could not pass the physical?

That's kind of funny, actually, 'cause I did the opposite. Before I started with the airlines, and I was a broke flight instructor, I would do the opposite, and do the "13-month float". I would get my medical on Nov. 1st, 1992, then Dec. 1, 1993, Jan 1, 1995...

My reasoning was, if I did it for 12 years straight, I would get one free medical!

God I was a cheap-ass back then!

LAXSaabdude.

Latest resources

Back