• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting logbook ready for interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It took me 11 days working about 7 hrs a day to update 8 years. and you wouldn't believe the discrepancies. ALL screwed up. Took a lot more hours to figure that out on top of the 11 days.

My paper logs look like heck between white out, tape, etc. Logbook pro looks 100 times better but I still find mistakes from time to time. Garbage in, garbage out.

I still keep a paper copy as well as Logbook Pro. I am not 100% convinced that someday the computer version will not get all jacked up by some computer glitch and I won't have to recreate it from paper again. If ever invited to interview with a major, is the best idea to present the pretty/fancy Logbook Pro version and keep the beaten up paper version in my brief case in the event that it is needed?

FWIW....I have been doing monthly totals in my logbook for the last 8-10 years and save 1 years worth of printed monthly rosters with the totals included that match the logbook in case I have to go elsewhere and interview. I had a Delta interviewer tell me that's the way he does it and my current employer had no issues with it during the interview. Much easier and cleaner....plus your not lugging 20 logbooks around with you.

I feel better after reading this. I have an interview soon, after 20 years my logbooks (plural) are a mess. I cant imagine a true audit and the discrepancies that may be found. I was thinking about converting them all over to electronic but I fear it may make them worse. Any suggestions???

Stop thinking about it and do it!

You can pay the kind folks at Logbook Pro...but it sounds like you might need to sort the mess out yourself.

It took me a long time to get it all in the computer. And I use one line for one leg.

But it is an investment in your time.

These apps ask you to dissect your time in some crazy ways. That take for ever if you are still on paper. But it is a flash if you have it on the computer. So, each app you fill out you are getting your time back.

Sit Down and do the book. Assuming you've got a Company printout or pocket log of the specific details, you should be safe doing one month per line. Just be damn sure to triple check everything before you put it in and bring the printout/detailed book with you to the interview. One trip per line would probably look a little better. I saw a guy who actually did one LEG per line. He had six logbooks of lunacy.

I do recommend Logbook Pro or some other program. It took me a week of reserve to input 15 years worth of flying into it, but when it was done........No worries ever again. I can now bring my pen/ink logbook with all the signatures in it and one month of flying per line and back it up with a logbook pro super detailed printout of every leg........bulletproof.

Bottom line.
1.) It's your own damn fault for letting it go for so long.
2.) An absolutely pristine, perfect logbook has never been seen. Some whiteout, lines, etc are not going to sink you. On the flip side, a completely incoherent mess of not caring about making it right says a lot as well. Your logbook will be directly correlated to your ability to maintain SOP discipline. Nobody gets it perfect, but it is important to strive for perfection.
3.) This is your shot. Some things are a given. Showing up with a shady logbook...........might as well be wearing jeans.

Once your logbook is straight, the absolute best thing you can do is get yourself five or so good stories together from your life as an aviator and tailor them to be adaptable to several different "tell me about a time" questions. Practice them, get the kinks out. Practice smiling and eye contact. Never say anything negative about anything ever.

Good luck!

I feel better after reading this. I have an interview soon, after 20 years my logbooks (plural) are a mess. I cant imagine a true audit and the discrepancies that may be found. Any suggestions???

I feel your pain. I recommend sitting down and doing it if you're looking at an interview ever again.
It takes a LONG time, but when it's done, it's done forever.
The electronic version adds everything up correctly and will instantly split it down to whatever you need. One application says they need to know how much Night PIC you've got? Click. Done. One company says HELO time counts as PIC turbine but the next company doesn't? Click. Done.

Now that I've got it done, I just take 45 seconds at the end of a leg to input my times into my iphone, and they automatically upload into my electronic book.

I was thinking about converting them all over to electronic but I fear it may make them worse.
There will be discrepancies. So I've got a line in my paper book that says "adjustments for electronic recordkeeping" or some such. Some columns are right on. Some I needed to add a bit, some I subtracted a bit. Now the paper and electronic versions match perfectly.

Latest resources

Back