Getting in?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BengalsFan

Alright I know the most mundane answer to this, is to network, but my problem is that most of the guys I work with in thre reserves who have corporate jobs tell me that I don't have enough time, for insurance reasons (1500 all multi engine turbine... mostly jet. So what is the magical number for the insurance companies?

dont believe the insurance thing. It can certainly be done with 1500TT. Maybe not as a Captain on an International G550....but certainly as an SIC in most operations.

However - keep in mind - with 1500TT you may not be as competitive as other resumes in the stack - not yet at least.

I have also heard of people using the "insurance mins" as a spineless way of avoiding saying they dont want to or cant hire you (for whatever reason)

One shouldnt be in the hiring position if he cant simply say, "just wanted to let you know, we went with another candidate, thank you for your time"

how hard is that?

Last edited:
Find a chief pilot who's ex-military and you're in. 3M comes to mind. Also saw someone post an openning for AMEX, I think their DO is ex-Navy.

BengalsFan said:
Alright I know the most mundane answer to this, is to network, but my problem is that most of the guys I work with in thre reserves who have corporate jobs tell me that I don't have enough time, for insurance reasons (1500 all multi engine turbine... mostly jet. So what is the magical number for the insurance companies?
G200 is exactly right. IF someone is giving you the insurance runaround, well, that is just a lie. If they truly believe that, their broker has a terrible relationship with the underwriter. Plenty of brokers out there like that and others that just do not know what they are doing. Lots of brokers selling other types of insurance as their main business, but also sell AVsurance every now and then because 1 policy is so lucrative. A broker that says no to a flight department should be fired. Too many of them forget who they are working for and by telling a flight department "no", they are calling into question the judgement of the CP. Who are they to do that. I have yet to meet a broker that is also/was a jet pilot.

Tell us more about your situation. What are you doing now when you are not working your 1 weekend a month or 2 weeks a year? Do you fly in the guard? If so, what?

I agree the insurance is BS. Our department says that we can put anyone behind the controls that the CP feels is acceptable. If they have the requirements put on them by the insurance then you probably don't want to work there anyway. There probably is a good reason they have the requirements placed on them.

Latest resources

Back