Getting Hired With Felony?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetSpeed219

I have a buddy who wants to get into aviation, and he was asking me if he should even waste his time with a felony on his record that is pretty recent. So my question is, would he EVER be able to get a flying job with a felony on his record? This means Airline, Corporate, Freight, Charter, Fractional....etc. Thanks in advance.

Probably Not. For sure not airlines as all are required to do a federal background check now complete with fingerprinting.

I guess if the charges were minor, so to speak, maybe. Felony dui or something like that he may eventually out live. In my opinion it would be very hard.

Last edited:
I think it depends on what felony he committed. Many airline applications have a list of felonies - about 30 of them that are automatically disqualifying. They range from assault to treason.

However, if his conviction was non-violent, he might have a shot at a part 121 or 135 job eventually. If he is zero time, it will take him a couple of years to get to the point of applying to the airlines. Obviously, he has to keep his nose clean in the mean time. There is no FAA mandated background check for part 91 jobs. A career flying Gulfstreams is nothing to scoff at.

Last edited:
Felonies

First off, your friend should get copies of all his court records and rap sheets. That way, he'll know exactly what is on his record and can design appropriate interview and application responses. As was written above, some felonies are less serious than others.

Your friend might also discuss with his attorney working out an arrangement with the D.A. and the court to see if something lesser can appear on his record along with the possiibility of his rap being expunged eventually.

The airlines indeed want saints, and they can get them because there are plenty out there. There are plenty of other rewarding pursuits in aviation besides the airlines. You might recommend to your friend that he look into them, if he is indeed serious about making aviation his career.

Hope this helps.

Can you even get an ATP with a felony on your record? Doesn't that go against all that "good moral character" stuff?

I believe the felony was forgery in the 1st degree, evidentally he tried cashing a forged check at one of those cash and go type places. And no it wasn't me, he is my best friend and wants get into flying very badly.

Expunging the rap

JetSpeed219 said:
I believe the felony was forgery in the 1st degree, evidentally he tried cashing a forged check at one of those cash and go type places. And no it wasn't me, he is my best friend and wants get into flying very badly.
Just tell him to speak with his attorney about obtaining his court records, and perhaps getting his conviction expunged. I don't know for sure that can be done, but it cannot hurt to ask.

As far as the ATP "good moral character" requirement is concerned, the poster above may have a point, but a number of ATPs I've known did not meet that requirement! :)

Good luck to your friend.

The airlines aren't looking for saints, they are looking for good humans. I know too many people with skeletins in their closets to think otherwise. A one-time stupid trick can be easily overcome, but it takes time to heal these wounds. Your friend should pursue that which he desires to achieve with all of his conviction. Persistence will pay off for the tenacious. Rejection may be the norm at first, and it will hurt. But pain is temporary. Quitting is forever.

Tis a good thing

No problem here at all.

In fact, this will be a tremendous boost to his career.
Just tell your friend to forge up a pilots license, SWA ID card, 737 type rating and all Southwest Airlines employment forms. Oh yeah, he also needs to forge up a set of new finger prints if he wants to get past the TSA. I saw some neat stickon ones in the last Mission Impossible movie.

Then, walk into Southwests personnel dept, turn in the forms, and a couple days later............bam he's a 737 FO working for the fastest growing major airline.

That forgery thing could really pay off if he uses it right.

JetSpeed219 said:

Latest resources

Back