• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting Hired by FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is this strong perception that if you are a minority, you automatically get hired. Fact and reality are two different things.

Your statement about the "perception" of facts may be true. However, as a White male, I can say that it seems that guys "like me" are automatically put at the bottom of any interview or hiring list because of our race. That is racism, pure and simple. And it is endorsed by our government. I don't want HR to know anyone's race. The best qualified person should always get the job.

ziggyz - Sucks that you haven't gotten an interview yet. Makes no sense with all of your experience! They haven't called me either.

Last edited:
I am a black male with 8300 hours, 121 time, and several types and have gotten turned down for interviews with the FAA on multiple occasions. Each time, they tell me that a lot of military and veterans have applied. The last two people, with only 121 time, that I know to have gotten hired at the FAA were both white (1male/1female) and civilian. There is this strong perception that if you are a minority, you automatically get hired. Fact and reality are two different things. The biggest benefactors of affirmative action in this country have always been white females. Yet, I know white females, fully qualified, who have not been hired at airlines and other jobs. It is a tough time for anyone in this line of work to get a job. I've been unemployed for 14 months. Here in the D.C. area, every federal job that I have been fully qualified for and applied to has gone to veterans and military. That's just how the gov't. works. Make sure that you know the facts before rushing to judgement.

I agree that white females have probably benefited the most from preferential government hiring. But, being black is still an advantage in most scenarios. By law veterans have an advantage over non-veterans regardless of race or gender, so bypassing a vet for a non-vet is hard to do unless there's a huge difference in qualifications. At one time there was an established policy that at least half of all all new hires into FAA Flight Standards had to be female and/or a racial minority. They rescinded the policy after losing several lawsuits, but it still exists under the surface and every non-minority hire still has to be justified to the Regional Civil Rights Division. When I made hiring decisions I never had a problem with affirmative action for disadvantaged blacks, although I wish it had extended to the disadvantaged of every race. I didn't like it much when I was forced to grant preference to a minority or female from a privileged background.

I've been there, done that, and do believe I know what I'm talking about. (At least on this subject).

OK, I am ready to get out of this airline thing. I have applied for several FAA jobs and not heard a word other than I am unqualified which I find hard to believe. I have been applying for the 121 and 61 safety inspector positions.
A quick rundown of my resume is;
4 year degree
Numerous safety courses
Accident investigator(with actual experience)
Past safety leadership positions in an airline
Current airline captain(A320)
International experience

Can one of you current FAA types give me some advice? I see several nice positions in IL I would go for. My home state is IA.

You're too qualifed. You need to be an airline washout to even get an interview. Otherwise, you won't fit in with these ___________.

FAA jobs

To get hired you must have at least the following:
ATP, CFII MEI, 1000 hrs as CFI, 200 hrs. in the last 12 months and here is a great one, no more than 3 accidents or violations in the past 5 years. Yes, that is a written requirement. I have held the following FAA positions on my three tours there.....Air Traffic Controller, VFR tower and Radar, Flight Inspection Pilot, General Aviation Ops and Air Carrier Ops Inspector. I finally retired but with only 10 yrs. with the FAA. Call me if you want to discuss......Bill 817-691-1910

For Air Carrier Operations Inspector (no such thing as a 121 or 91 Inspector):

Were you a Check Airman? (or Military IP)
Were you a Designee?
Were you some other kind of "Pilot Evaluator"?
Chief Pilot?
Director of Safety?
Director Of Operations?
Air Operator Owner?
Ever written a required certificate holders manual?
Ever served on a ASAP ERC?

For GA Inspector - CFII single and Multi, 135 Check airman/ Chief pilot/ DO, Designee...??

Big one(s) - Vetrans preference - Purple Heart - ...

There are hundreds if not thousands of line pilots applying for an Inspector job. There are many applicants that have all or some of the above you are competing against. That is just the way it is.

I cant make sense of any of it. Ziggyz I understand you're frustration if that is a proper way to put. I am a white male with far less experience than you. I was called for an interview but after some digging into my qualifications they later called me before the interview and rescinded the offer of interview because I hadnt flown the required 100 hours in the last 3 years.

Are you: White? Male? Non veteran? if the answer is yes you go to the bottom of the list. The U.S. govermment is the most racist employer out there.

Wait, I thought Delta was?

Latest resources

Back