Getting Degree before going military?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shutout390

If I am making a repeat post, please let me know. I did a search but nothing came up to answer my questions.

I have not been to this forum in quite some time, but I was reading a post from people who have gotten thier degree before going into the military and that hurting thier overall chance to fly fighters....is this correct and why? As a 19 year old, what should i be doing and where should i be looking (AF, Navy, Guard, etc) to best help my chance of getting my wings. Should i even start to get my pilots liscense? Lots more Questions to go along with these, but Im sure you guys know where Im going, if you want just tell me what I need to know.

oh and for those out there thinkin I just watched Topgun for the 104th time and now I want to be a pilot....i assure you this is not the case.

Thanks in advance.

You have to have a 4 year degree to get into an airforce/navy/marine officer position. In the airforce i believe you also have to have your private pilots license and the more hours the better. The army will let you fly helicopters(wish i would have) with just a hs diploma.

I believe the USMC also has pilots without degrees, you would have to see a recruiter for details.

Im sorry i didnt ask this right,

Im gonna get my degree, probably science. how i meant to put it is should i be in contact with a branch of the military while or before i go to college. and if so, what branch takes the most young guys right out of college to fly fighters ? Is there anyway i could become an officer during school so i could go straight to flight school once i graduate, or is OTS unavoidable?

Also, what additional things could i do during college to set me above the rest of people im competing against. I figured getting my pilots liscense is key. But is there anything else?
Thanks again.

If you're already enrolled in a college that has an ROTC program, join it. This is the way to "avoid" OTS (USAF). Once graduating you'll also be commissioned a 2nd LT. If ROTC is not available, then OTS is your vehicle for initial USAF training (unless you can get an appointment to a military academy). BTW, I went through OTS...no big deal.

Additionally, if you're going to fly "fixed wing" in any branch of the services, you'll need a 4 year degree. This requirement is for your commission and being commissioned is a requirement to fly fixed wing. As stated in earlier posts, rotary wing requirements are different.

When I attended UPT in the USAF (many years ago), how you did during the program was the key to getting a fighter. How you do in Physics IV at University XXX, while it may improve your application package, had little to no bearing on whether you get a fighter or not out of UPT. The reason the military likes to see math/science skills on your resume/degree is just in case things don't work out at UPT (and they don't for more folks than you may think), they now have another avenue/skill set to use you in.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you. I thoroughly enjoyed my 20+ years.:)

There is no guarantee to a fighter. You can't sign a contract prior to UPT saying, "When I graduate, I get a fighter." There are not even guarantees if you join a Guard unit that (currently) has fighters. Guard guys have washed out of UPT and fighter RTU.

Get your degree. Join ROTC. If not ROTC, go OTS. Not matter which one you take, bust your a** to get a UPT slot. That's step one to flying fighters.

DO NOT enlist in the Active Duty Air Force and try to get a commission that way and then go to UPT. While possible, I've met too many crew chiefs who get bogged down with 12 hr days on the flightline to finish degrees and get commissioned. Good luck.

Magnum, come on brother. I am active duty and a crew chief and work 12 hour days on the flightline, and am finishing my degree and starting the process to get commissioned. Its how bad you want it that shows who is for real and who is faking it. I myself meet alot of guys who say they want to do this, but just dont put the effort in it. I am glad i enlisted because in addition to the school and flying I have been doing, I also got the experience of the military and the enlisted side of things. Granted there is good and bad about joining active duty and going to school at the same time, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I can't tell ya,
shutout, what to do. But just know that if you do enlist in the Air Force, there is opportunity to go to school if you want, plus you will get the experiences of a lifetime.

Shutout, see an OFFICER recruiter as soon as you can. Find out all the facts. The Navy and Air Force is weeding out pilots (more than usual) as they do not need as many (at least for now).

Jetjock, I have the greatest respect for prior enlisted officers and pilots. The road you have traveled is not an easy one. But, I have to agree with Magnum on the not going enlisted first. Shutout, take the direct routes first, and then if they do not pan out, look at enlisting. If you end up doing that, ensure you end up in Aviation and let those above you know your goals every step of the way so that they can help you. But first, enroll in a Navy or Air Force ROTC unit if you can. If not, plan on going to OCS for the Navy or OTS for the Air Force. You have to be an officer to fly in either the Air Force or the Navy (helos and fixed wing). Since Army has no jets, I would not even bother with them unless you don't finish your degree.

Keep your goal in mind, but remember they pick you for jets. Every step of the way after enrolling in an officer program, you will hand them a list of what you want for the next career step. They will compare you to your peers and place you based on their current needs, and your relative performance up to that point (at your stage in life, your grades are everything..). So, work hard now.

One last bit, keep doing your homework. Your post was an excellent place to start. Keep asking the questions as you find out your options. And remember, Military aviation is an excellent opportunity and an absolute blast, whether you end up flying Helos in the Air Force or the Navy's newest jets. You can't go wrong.

jetjock19 said:
Magnum, come on brother. I am active duty and a crew chief and work 12 hour days on the flightline, and am finishing my degree and starting the process to get commissioned. Its how bad you want it that shows who is for real and who is faking it. I myself meet alot of guys who say they want to do this, but just dont put the effort in it. I am glad i enlisted because in addition to the school and flying I have been doing, I also got the experience of the military and the enlisted side of things. Granted there is good and bad about joining active duty and going to school at the same time, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I can't tell ya,
shutout, what to do. But just know that if you do enlist in the Air Force, there is opportunity to go to school if you want, plus you will get the experiences of a lifetime.

Good on ya, brother. I didn't say it couldn't be done...I just said it was tough. The E's that sit in the comm shop all day (well, for 8 hours anyway) get their degrees alot easier than the wrench-benders. Congrats and good luck. You should be proud of your accomplishments...not everyone can do what you did!

Thanks everyone, each one of you have helped me a lot.

Can anybody give me a ballpark of what percentage of guys actually get to fighters that want them? Especially now that they are cutting back.

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back