• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting current

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I personally dont know of one corporate pilot who has had to pay for their training - initial or recurrent - in the last 3 years (minimum)

I would not say its the norm by any means.

And yes, I agree, hiring is VERY slow to nonexistant right now. Even if there is a need, budgets are often frozen.

Hopefully that ends soon....until then its a great time to network and be ready.

I personally dont know of one corporate pilot who has had to pay for their training - initial or recurrent - in the last 3 years (minimum)

I really don't either, mostly people from here asking if they should do it. And the companies I know around here that will not pay for training anymore.

But I, like you, are in the 91 world, where unless the company is a joke, training is 100% paid for.

I do know about 5 guys who did pay for types to get into the contract world this year. GV/G550's for all of them.

If you want extra sim time Simcom should be able to arrange it for you for a reasonable amount. Flight Safety apparently won't do this, Simuflite will, I don't know about Simcom but I don't see why they wouldn't.

This is not a PFT situation in my view. I am compensated for recurrent in the form of bonuses throughout the year. Thus, if I leave in the midst of a one year rotation, the company has 'protected' their investment in training. It's really no different than signing a contract and agreeing to be on the hook for the cost of training. I really have no problem with that, it's a fair arrangement, and it's also just the way it is at present.

fly91, I agree with you on the comments made on guys leaving a company after getting a type rating. In which makes companies have training agreements. My company never had one until 2 years ago when a couple "super stars" left 2 months after gettting a type rating. Thanks to those.

fly91, I agree with you on the comments made on guys leaving a company after getting a type rating. In which makes companies have training agreements. My company never had one until 2 years ago when a couple "super stars" left 2 months after gettting a type rating. Thanks to those.

Why did they leave?

Why did they leave?

Unless the Chief Pilot kicked them in the nuts every morning and before each flight, or if an employment contract was breached by the company,
they need to fulfill at least 12 months of work beyond type school.

If they don't, they're scumbag pilots.

Unless the Chief Pilot kicked them in the nuts every morning and before each flight, or if an employment contract was breached by the company,
they need to fulfill at least 12 months of work beyond type school.

If they don't, they're scumbag pilots.

well...OK...

Or what if they got an offer for 50K more?

I never heard of this magic 12 month type commitment? Did you sign or promise (your word) - thats another story....but other than that..no way!

say NO to moving you and your family up 50K just to show loyalty to your current employer? Only a fool would. Theres no loyalty on either end - its just a job. One cannot time opportunities, and you shouldn't bat an eye when one is presented.

There's often a reason some places have very high turnover and resort to low-end tactics like training contracts and PFT.

Some jobs are meant to be stepping stones, thats in every industry. You owe no more than 2 weeks notice and a "Thank You", continue this without guilt until you get to where YOU and your family need to be.

I'd say its far more than "scumbag pilots".....more likely...."scumbag employers"

Last edited:
well...OK...

Or what if they got an offer for 50K more?

The cost of the type/recurrent is usually divided by 12 months, both 91 and 135 ops do this. If a pilot leaves before 12 months they need to pay the company back the prorated amount. If they stay for 2 months, they owe 10 months, simple as that.

And who was it that made it possible for that pilot to get that better job making 50K more, yup, the company who typed him. If he's getting an extra $50,000, he can pay off his training and still make more for the year. Then every year after that he banks an extra $50,000. OR...if he's really so great, the new company can pay off his balance. This goes on too. Sounds fair to me.

Another one for you. My "other" Global pilot friend is not allowed to do contract flying because they pay for his training. No sh1t. Its just how the owner is. I've heard of many owners that have that rule for their pilots. But he makes 150K with a nice bonus and fly's 8 days a mointh, so he's not real pissed. Just an example for ya how things are, at least in this area.

I never heard of this magic 12 month type commitment?

You have got to be kidding me? Just about every company around here requires it in the training contracts, both Part 91 and 135 companies. Its almost industry standard now. My friends all across the country have done the same thing.

Also, my friend is instructing at Simuflite on the Challenger 300, his contract is over a 2-year period. He must pay if he leaves, or have the new company he goes to buy out the training contract, either way. BUT....Simuflite and other smart companies do things a bit different, they actually give you a "personal loan" and make you sign a promissory note. There is no walking away from that. They can get immediate wage garnishment against you and a judgement. This is the new way that companies are doing things, if they're smart.

say NO to moving you and your family up 50K just to show loyalty to your current employer? Only a fool would. Theres no loyalty on either end - its just a job. One cannot time opportunities, and you shouldn't bat an eye when one is presented.

I agree, take the better paying job, but the pilot needs to pay the prorated amount if he leaves or have the new company buy out the contract. He can still pay it off monthly.

There's often a reason some places have very high turnover and resort to low-end tactics like training contracts and PFT.

Well, than the pilot should not go there if he can't do the time. This is why companies don't pay for types anymore, pilots leaving on them after they spent $20,000-$50,000 on them. Its theft, plain and simple. Its just hard to enforce a verbal contract.

And dont get me wrong, not 100% of companies do the contract thing, just the ones that don't want to literally toss $40,000 in the garbage.....or the ones like I work for and maybe you, companies that hire 100% within and they know exactly what they are getting in a pilot and know they will not be left hanging in the breeze.

Some jobs are meant to be stepping stones, thats in every industry. You owe no more than 2 weeks notice and a "Thank You", continue this without guilt until you get to where YOU and your family need to be.

If its a stepping stone, then you can't write your own ticket yet, do the time and be fair to the "stepping stone". After all, its the "stepping stone" that is advancing your career and making you more marketable and experienced.

I know of a handful of pilots that will never get a job down here in this area because they've done just this to companies. No different than a blacklist. Case in point: A big 91 op down here, I know a guy that got hired, went to Global school and left after 1 month to fly another Global. He knew it all along, the new company said to come back already typed and you have the job. They made him sign a training contract prorated as I explained above. But the Supreme Court in Florida has ruled that companies cannot collect on a pilot training contract. First off, that guy will never get hired with anyone around here unless he pays for his first year of training by himself for a new type or his next recurrent in the Global. He better stay where he is. Everyone knows him. But what this loser will probably do is just go to a fresh recurrent, screwing his current company, then immediately leave to another job if he finds one. And he is looking right now, he hates where he is. Good luck. My company is adding 2 jets in February, a Legacy and a GIV. He's knows better than to even waste his time asking me to get him in, which I could. He knows I can't because people know him already as a scumbag. WHY wouldn't I try anyway???? Because hell if I want to bring someone on that pulls that sh1t and makes me look bad. I wouldn't do it if he was literally living out of his car. Not worth the risk in this tiny tiny, tight nit industry.

I'd say its far more than "scumbag pilots".....more likely...."scumbag employers"

You've been at your job too long, you're not in the loop how things are done now, regarding this subject.

As I've labored to say in many posts, companies all over south Florida for years and years (none of them scumbag companies) always paid for initial and recurrent training for new hires, even if they didn't know the guy at all. Over the past 5-6 years they are all slowly stopping, and most have simply stopped. EDIT: "company-X" down here used to be known as the "type-rating" factory for BBJ, Global and Challenger 604. They will not type anyone anymore, the party is over.

Good luck finding an ad on climbto350.com anymore that doesn't say, "you must be current with at least 6 months left from your last PC or willing to pay for your own training." Its all you see anymore. I saw one job 2 weeks ago, out of Berlin, that said for the right pilot with the right total time and PIC jet time, we'll type you. I almost fell off my chair. But it was a company worth about $1 billion and they build corporate jets as well as own their own simulators in Dallas, if you know who I mean.

Companies have big bucks, yes, but to 100% toss 10's of thousands in the garbage, thats just bad business and they didn't get rich throwing money in the garbage, they just are not willing to do it anymore. And I'm 100% with them. I tell owners, D.O.'s and Chief Pilots all the time to make them sign a personal loan with a promissory note instead of just a stupid contract. People are slowly catching on. Pilots getting certain free type ratings just had their entire lives made for them by a company, now they're gonna leave them hanging. How the hell can anyone think thats OK to do. I'll tell ya who, friggin pilots who think they're entitled, thats who.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back