Getting back into the game

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dash_trash

So ... been on furlough from the fractionals for a few years and will likely not be called back. Haven't flown in a about three years and would like to avoid going back to the regionals (prior Capt. at a regional) if at all possible.

I figure I have no shot at one of the few remaining majors ... is it even possible to think I can jump back in at the JetBlue, Spirit, Virgin, etc. level.

Your insight is appreciated.

6k TT
>1k TPIC
>500 TPIC 121

Last edited:
I have had my applications in at all of the LCC's for a while without hearing a peep, i would consider myself competive for what they are looking for but i still think you may need to know someone on the inside. For the meantime i have been flying charter and it is ok except for the schedule of course, so you may want to take a look at that route also.

First off get current.

Then look at being competitive.

You may have to suck it up at a regional for a while, or hit up a scum bag freighter outfit. Anyone that'll take you. Without being current, I know jetblue likely won't even look at you. The app window is scheduled to open next month though. I'd still apply.

Blanket the world with apps. And start flying!

Good luck!

First off get current.

Then look at being competitive.

You may have to suck it up at a regional for a while, or hit up a scum bag freighter outfit. Anyone that'll take you. Without being current, I know jetblue likely won't even look at you. The app window is scheduled to open next month though. I'd still apply.

Blanket the world with apps. And start flying!

Good luck!

+1. As much as people thumb their noses at regional companies, they do allow you to fly a lot and regain currency.

If I were you I'd find one where you could be based close to home, bite the bullet and go for it. After a few months you'd be as competitive as anyone else. From there it takes going to job fairs or knowing somebody on the inside typically.

What have you been doing for the past three years, and why are you looking to come back?

Word is to keep your resume updated and go to one of the job fairs, shake the recruiter's hand and hand it to them in person.. Good luck.

+1. As much as people thumb their noses at regional companies, they do allow you to fly a lot and regain currency.

If I were you I'd find one where you could be based close to home, bite the bullet and go for it. After a few months you'd be as competitive as anyone else. From there it takes going to job fairs or knowing somebody on the inside typically.

Have PDT HQ 30 miles away ... the mighty Dash-8 ... Air Wisky 95 miles away ... CRJ ...

What have you been doing for the past three years, and why are you looking to come back?

Watching my kids grow up ...

Work wise, working as a manager at a local non-profit, overseeing their public programming and managing more than 150 people in multiple projects, developing and managing department budgets, creating marketing plans ... general office stuff.

Miss the flying and have come to realize that I've missed more birthdays, school programs, field trips, sports, etc. in a regular job then I did when flying full time.

So ... been on furlough from the fractionals for a few years and will likely not be called back. Haven't flown in a about three years and would like to avoid going back to the regionals (prior Capt. at a regional) if at all possible.

I figure I have no shot at one of the few remaining majors ... is it even possible to think I can jump back in at the JetBlue, Spirit, Virgin, etc. level.

6k TT
>1k TPIC
>500 TPIC 121

Anything is possible, just doubt it's probable. Of course it's always helpful when you have a good contact. There are so many guys that are current and qualified, jumping through hoops (multiple job fairs) to get an interview with J,S,V that I would be surprised to see you land one. Just an opinion.

Just an FYI, some regionals are offering bonuses to stay a year, so the pay isn't as bad as it could be.

Good luck in your search.

Buddy of mine met a new Republic E175 FO recently who joined just to get "current." He had some RJ time in his background but he intended to go corporate after getting jet current.

6k TT
>1k TPIC
>500 TPIC 121
wanta fly DC9's out of KYIP? if so PM me a resume

Latest resources

Back