Getting back into flying professionally

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Number$Cruncher

I left the flightdeck ten years ago to get an advanced degree and pursue another career, and over the last few months I've been thinking about returning. My experience was/is all corporate, with about 4,000 total time, 2,000 jet and types in the G-IV and CL-600 series. I've done very little flying since but when I have it's been a very natural transition. I have 25 years left to offer an employer, and I'm still really only interested in corporate flying. Thoughts?

Things are still pretty tight but hit up the contacts from your previous life, network, maybe attend the NBAA convention in Vegas (as if anyone needs a reason to go to Vegas). If the fundamentals are still there, attitude and work ethic, you won't have any problems getting back in.

Where are you located? Maybe start by flying contract part time before jumping ship.

Thanks. I'm in the NYC area, so that's good...plenty of aircraft around. My current real job would limit me to vacation and weekend contract trips. Lack of recent currency and FSI would probably keep me out of the "required crewmember" roles, but I was thinking I could do some 91 right seat work where an FO isn't actually required (CJ/King Air).

I would think that someone with your stated qualifications, if he/she were willing to relocate would have reasonable luck finding a job, even in this environment.

As someone said earlier, make contact with old friends and co-workers, call up old bosses and see if they have any leads. As you know, corporate aviation is as much about networking as it is about a good resume.

Since you've played the game once, you can play it again... you succeeded once and you'll most likely succeed again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back