Getting Back In

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CAK@4000

I need some advice here Boys and Girls..........

Due to some family circumstances, I left the regional I was employed with about 9 months ago. I've been working an Engineering job since then, but the pull to go back to aviation is strong. Once in aviation, its real hard going back to an office job. My stats........3800 TT, 2900 Multi, 250 Turbine PIC. I flew the Dornier at PSA as an F.O. for two years, and flew freight and instructed prior to that. One concern I have is my age...I'll be 40 this year.

I know the industry is still in the toilet, but I would like some advice. I've heard that Comair is doing some hiring. What about some of the others. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Why not??

I had experiences as an age discrimination sufferer twelve years ago. I had some commuter interviews, but no one wanted to hire me at age 40. My quals were essentially what you see at the left.

However, your situation is different than mine. You have good quals, and far, far better quals than me. Moreover, you have been a member of the club. Therefore, age discrimination is a non-starter for you.

I would go for it if I were you, fully realizing that with hiring the way it is your phone may not ring for a while. Moreover, you will have to design answers for questions about why you left. In the meantime, you should be doing some flying, e.g., in your case, instructing.

That's my $0.02 advice. Good luck with your job search.

Last edited:
Good advice from bobbysamd, the only thing I would add is have realistic career expectations. With the way the industry is and your age, be prepared for the very real possibility of never making it to the majors. If you can accept that fact (I assume that was your goal previously, if I am incorrect I apologize), then you will be fine.

Like he said, it is going to be a long and hard road. The industry isn't going to recover anytime soon.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back