Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Q200_FO

What, No booze?!?
Anybody ever heard of getting your ATP rating combined with the line/pro check you have to do every year anyway? You fly your aircraft almost every day anyway so you're proficient in it. Need to save the $$$ on airplane rental if I can. Thanks .

The checkairman giving the line-check or proficiency check (121.441) doesn't need to be a FAA DE, therefore they could not issue a certificate or rating. In any case a 8710 would be required with a signature from the instructor recommending you for the checkride (cannot be the same person conducting the test). The instructor must have also given you instruction within the past 60 (or is it 30, it has been a while) days for the purpose of the certificate or rating being sought.

It would be nice to save a few bucks and have the company pay for it, but they will only when they have to.

You don't neccesarily need a sign off for the ATP. As a Commercial Pilot you can reccomend yourself. If you wish to retest with in 90 (?) days you need a sign off. You'll get it when you upgrade to Captain or get a type rating so if either of those items are in the future why spend the money yourself? For details check FAA.gov. Publication 61-65D.

i know a guy or two who attempted to talk their check airman into doing this, during their pc's. not sure if it's just our company policy, or the checkairman (understandably) not wanting to do so, but none of them got their wish.
but as stated above, save your money, get the atp with your upgrade. unless of course, you are needing the atp for a different job opportunity. then, most likely, you'll have to spend the cash for it yourself.

If the aircraft you do your checkride in requiers a type rating then you need an endorsement regardless.

Your company ck airman may be a TCE (training center evaluator). That would give him authorization to issue an ATP as long as you are doing a type rating ride.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone just declared the ATP rating redundant and got rid of it. It's just absurd to say that someone has 1000+ hours of large, turbine, 121 time, but you have to go somewhere and take a checkride in a duchess before your qualified to upgrade. It's stupid.

I'm dreading preparing for the ATP written. Why can't a part 121 (or 135 for that matter) Captain upgrade class take the place of the ATP written?

Scott

sstearns2- doesn't your company include the ATP with your upgrade? It's the same as the type ride, the only thing I had to add to my checkride was an inflight restart.

Eddie,

>sstearns2- doesn't your company include the ATP with your upgrade? >It's the same as the type ride, the only thing I had to add to my >checkride was an inflight restart.

My point exactly! Why the heck do we (pilots/FAA) bother having an ATP rating? I'm mostly thinking of the poor, starving flight instructors that have to cough up another $300 plus twin rental to get a useless rating in order to be 'competitive'.

Further more, why do we bother having a commercail rating? It's equally useless, everyone agrees it's useless, so why not drop it and save all the aspiring pilots out there a bunch of money? If someone has 250+ hours just let them have the privilges of a commercail pilot, which means they can tow banners or gliders which is probably what they did to get the 250 hours anyway.

Oh yeah, yes, at skywest I can get my ATP as part of the type ride. It's just a box that needs to be checked on the form from what I'm told. But I do get to pay AllATPs $300 to brainwash me adequately enough to pass the written, so I'll be 'qualified' to goto the class where I'll actually learn what I need to know to be captain. It's silly.

OK, I'm done ranting for now.

Scott

sstearns2 said:
Further more, why do we bother having a commercail rating? It's equally useless, everyone agrees it's useless, so why not drop it and save all the aspiring pilots out there a bunch of money? If someone has 250+ hours just let them have the privilges of a commercail pilot, which means they can tow banners or gliders which is probably what they did to get the 250 hours anyway.

It's a matter of standards. Sure, a lot of the Commercial Pilot material is identical to the Private Pilot stuff, but the standard of expected performance is much higher. The ATP sets a higher standard of performance than the Commercial and insures that someone with at least 1500 or so hours and is 23 years of age is a Captain in 121 operations. Due to the market, most pilots have much more than that by the time they get the opportunity to fly in that capacity so getting the ATP is one way of setting your resume apart from the crowd of Commercial pilots. So is getting a type rating that you may never use. It means you have prepared yourself beyond what a typical Commercial pilot does and are potentially easier to train since you've been through the process before.

Latest resources

Back