getting an airline job with a bankrupt record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
Actually I think things are better than in 1994, there were very few jobs back then, mid 95 into 96 is when hiring started to take off,
...but how many pilots were laid off then, as now???

long list of unemployed piltos in 1994

In 1994 there was along list of USAirways, UAL, AA, DAL etc. pilots on the street waiting for recalls. Not to mention EAL, Pan Am, and Midway guys trying to rebuild thier careers. There is nothing different about 04, than 94 and 82.

oh i knew they were laid off, i was just wondering if anyone happened to have a number comparison...

It's funny how this question seems to surface from time to time. I find it hard to believe that any airline does a credit checks. Especially with the added costs of security checks combined with airlines cutting back staff and reducing costs. Also, hiring 3rd parties to perform these tasks would also be counter productive to reducing corporate costs.

I don't see anything in the AIM/FARS or any NASA/NTSB research that connects bankruptcy with ones ability to perform the duties of PIC/SIC for an airline. What's next? Full body CAT scans to see which ones will get cancer and which will not? Anyone seen the movie Gattica? Not too far away...

House_X said:
It's funny how this question seems to surface from time to time. I find it hard to believe that any airline does a credit checks. Especially with the added costs of security checks combined with airlines cutting back staff and reducing costs. Also, hiring 3rd parties to perform these tasks would also be counter productive to reducing corporate costs.

I don't see anything in the AIM/FARS or any NASA/NTSB research that connects bankruptcy with ones ability to perform the duties of PIC/SIC for an airline. What's next? Full body CAT scans to see which ones will get cancer and which will not? Anyone seen the movie Gattica? Not too far away...
Actually, many corporations require a credit check. There is a pretty significant correlation between severe financial difficulties and occupational stress. If you made hiring decisions and had to decide between 2 equally qualified candidates, wouldn't you liike to know if one had to declare personal bankruptcy? While not a direct indicator of job performance, a financial background check simply gives you another known aspect of the unknown.
Heck, Alaska Airlines has nicotine usage as a pilot disqualifier. How many pilots do you know who dip?

House_X said:
I find it hard to believe that any airline does a credit checks. Especially with the added costs of security checks combined with airlines cutting back staff and reducing costs. Also, hiring 3rd parties to perform these tasks would also be counter productive to reducing corporate costs.
Exactly how much do you think a credit check costs? Wander into a motgage company just to see how much you could qualify for ... thy'll run a credit check for you right then and there. Apply for a Home Depot Credit Card, they run one while you wait and you get a free plastic tool box too. I don't know how much they cost, but whth the casualness that companies order them up, it can't cost too much. So, for very little cost and effort, they get some insight into an applicants judgment and management abilities. No, it won't predict how well they will fly an ILS

House X:

Yeah, man. It's absurd but then again so was airline hiring practices back in the day (late '90s).

There were in fact a few companies doing credit checks on applicants. It's just another example of how these people totally lost their perspective and set up one hoop after another.

I'm not saying it's true but there was a rumor that even AA/Eagle would show preference to men with "brown hair".

Can you imagine?

Anyone else remember that one?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back