getting a job with a violation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mjport

I am a low-time pilot and may be faced with a violation by the FAA. Is my career dead at this early stage, if found in violation, or do I have time to bounce back and prove myself?

It's not over!
You have time to bounce back and prove yourself. You must take responsibility for your error, learn from it, and be able to speak at length about it in a mature and undefensive manner. As long as it's an isolated event you'll be fine.

The fact is that all pilots make mistakes, especially when they're low time. Most of us don't get caught and/or ATC decides not to pursue an action against us. It doesn't make you a bad pilot and in the future you'll be explaining to interviewers how much of a better pilot the violation made you.

I know I'm not answering your question, but I have to jump on my soapbox for a second.......

File a NASA form IMMEDIATELY! If whatever you did was inadvertant and happened less than 10 days ago, the NASA form will go a long way to helping you out.

First of all, it keeps you from having to suffer the punishment. For example, if the FAA decides to suspend your license for, say, 30 days and you have filed the ASRS form, you will not have to serve the suspension. It will be on your record for 5 years, but you won't lose your privledges for any period of time.

Second of all, FAA inspectors take your attitude into account when processing enforcement actions. Filing a NASA form is considered evidence of a "constructive attitude". In my one experience with the FAA the fact that I could prove that I filed a NASA form kept the inspector from issuing me a Letter of Warning. Instead, we had an informal UNRECORDED counseling session. FAA inspectors aren't evil people. Give them a reason to go easy on you and a lot of them will.

Finally, if you do send in a NASA form, send it Registered Mail, Certified Return Receipt. That way, if the identity strip doesn't make it back to you for some reason, you still have proof you sent it.

If, for whatever reason, a NASA form won't help you out, it's not the end of the world. We're all human. There's an infinite number of mistakes waiting to me made out there, and if it can be done one of us is going to do it sooner or later. If you end up with a violation, be prepared to explain it, but be prepared to explain it as a learning experience that has made you a better and a more safety concious pilot (It has, hasn't it?).

I agree with all the above. I got a TCA violation in 1988. I filed the NASA form and actually went to an informal conference with the FAA. I was told there would indeed be a violation on my record. I had about 800 TT at that point. When I interviewed at jetBlue I told them of the situation right away.

Ultimately, neither my search of my records or their search turned up the violation. I assume that is only because of the amout of time that passed. It was almost 12 years between the two events.

Any hoo, do NOT quit. Keep building the time and move forward. It is hard to get if off your mind now, but things will work out.

Colorado

NASA form

Absolutely file a NASA form. You should file NASA forms if you have the slightest doubt that you busted a reg or TCA (Class B) or anything. I filed NASA reports when I had students who were with me on clearances bust altitude. I even filed a NASA report after a Private student on a solo x-c landed at an unauthorized airport.

All it costs you is the time to write it up and mail it. It can save your career in the long run. Do it! CYA.

Anyone know if NASA reports can be filed online? If so, that would make it easier still.

All the advice on this board is correct. I would just add that you want the "violation" to be as minimal as possible. There are the stages from worst to least:
(1) Certificate action
(2) Letter of Warning
(3) Letter of Correction
Also, try to find out what FAR they are going to put this under. It seems 91.13 is the most popular because it is the inclusive "careless, or wreckless" FAR.

You can order your file, from the FAA's web site, to see what a prospective employer is going to see. You do not want to be surprised in an interview.

After being in aviation insurance claims business for 15 years there is still a lot about how these are handled that mystify me. You may want to retain Counsel to help you, or if you belive the FAA is being fair about this, may want to spend a little time asking for a lesser sanction.

What's behind Door #3?

What is a Letter of Correction? I've never heard of this one.

Thanks.

Re: What's behind Door #3?

mar said:
What is a Letter of Correction? I've never heard of this one.

Thanks.

Similar to remedial training. Not applicable to pilots exercising the privledges of an ATP or flying in any way for an air carrier.

colorado418 has a good post but might I go alittle further. He mentioned he told them about it right away and I see what you were trying to do, show them your honest and learned from your mistakes. However next hiring boom ( if there ever is one) there will be extream competition again like last time and any little thing can be detrimental so I suggest requesting your complete file from the FAA as part of your prep for applying to airlines, if nothing shows up then dont mention it to anyone.
I'm glad colorado got the job though and honesty is the best policy.

How can I order a report from the FAA? Is it an on-line app, or do I have to mail it in?

Just want to see what it looks like, thankfully my records are clean, hope I can keep them that way!

Latest resources

Back