Getting a Fed Ex interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Time out...

Lots of FedEx pilots have gotten their foot in the door by throwing boxes at their local hub or airport, working as a courier, accepting packages behind the desk at a customer service center, etc. Those little FotoMat FedEx service centers are all over the country. We have facilities at nearly any descent sized airport with scheduled commercial service.

A bunch of the ramp workers are at FedEx because it is one of the few part-time jobs with benefits. Many are contract employees during the day and work at FedEx at night for health insurance. Not a bad idea for furloughed airline folks is it? After six months and with the minimum qualifications you can get an interview. Of course that doesn't necessarily get you the job.

A senior pilot currently doing management duties told me the other night that we now have 13,000 applications on file. Unless you know someone much more senior than me, you statistically have little chance of getting a call. However, I do know one way to get an interview...internally.

No, this is not how I got my foot in the door, but if the tiny town in Oklahoma where I was last stationed had a single FedEx worker there, I would have fought for their job.

According to the grape vine, hiring will likely continue. Our big retirements start in just a few years.

Keep the faith.

Very well said C-17->Majors. If you want something you have to do what you have to do. Plus being a pilot beats working for living so doing some hard working for a change doesn't hurt anybody. But some of us were born NOBLE pilots and that kind of work is too low for our gentle hands.

Getting foot in door

I would gladly throw boxes around for a while if it could help me get an interview. The only problem is that I would have to quit my current commuter airline job to do it. It seems that would be shooting myself in the foot for the obvious reasons. It would be quite a gamble.

13000 apps is an awful lot of 'em. Although I know a female pilot that put her app in back in March and she has a class date in August already. She only has about 800 more hours than I do. She's a great pilot and a great person, so I don't think she was unqualified, it's just extremely frustrating because I've had mine in for so long. Oh well, what can more can I say. Thanks for all the input.

-Menace

Latest resources

Back