Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Get Your Stuff Out Of Seatback Pocket Pronto!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, Republic flight attendants have been (sporadically) enforcing this one for a few years now. Water bottles, food, laptops...none of it has been allowed in the seat back pockets.

Who knows why, but the first year's worth of Republic (not S5 or CHQ, just the Republic Airlines certificate) F/A's were very strict and enforced every FAR they knew. That group has been diluted over the years, but we still have some out there. Another random rule that they enforce far more than any other airline I have flown on is all window shades being open for takeoff and landing, and during the taxi. It is incredibly embarrassing to be sitting as number 50 in the PHL takeoff line, with the setting sun beating in, and our FA's won't let the passengers lower the window shade at all. But, I don't criticize them for following the rules. Maybe it has to do with the extra FAA scrutiny that comes along with being a new certificate. We were not allowed to apply for any exemptions until 1 year after the Republic certificate was up and running, which meant for that first year that cell phones could not be used at ANY time when the main cabin door was closed. That included the taxi in after landing. Apparently that is an exemption.

You know, the FAA is turning Flight Attendants into mall cops and the airlines are turning them into food vendors. Not sure how hard i'd try to police this new seat pocket rule, it's simply not worth the effort.

Airline passengers are getting close to being treated as badly as airline employees.

Why do you think I drove to and from my airplane (4:15 each way) this tour? More than a third of my family income arrives in the form of a check from a soon to be extinct legacy airline (think red tails and widgets) but I will do almost anything to avoid the bollocks that is airline travel. I know it's job security, but as one of the masses that pays the freight 4-5 times a month, airlining is getting more ridiculous by the day.

I heard this one time. On a SWA flight out of BWI about two years ago, C FA went nuts about it. The other FA's were ignoring her.

I've never heard it since. Until now.

Why do you think I drove to and from my airplane (4:15 each way) this tour? More than a third of my family income arrives in the form of a check from a soon to be extinct legacy airline (think red tails and widgets) but I will do almost anything to avoid the bollocks that is airline travel. I know it's job security, but as one of the masses that pays the freight 4-5 times a month, airlining is getting more ridiculous by the day.

+1. If I'm within a 5 hour radius of my domicile either way, it's a rental car. I usually beat the door-to-door times, too.

+1. If I'm within a 5 hour radius of my domicile either way, it's a rental car. I usually beat the door-to-door times, too.

And it was cheaper too. Didn't have to bend over for the Thousands Standing Around either :rolleyes:

No, I mean "what's the FAA reference"? What is the specific piece of regulation that makes this a rule?

121.589 with some language from 121.285.

The seat back pocket is not an approved stowage compartment. As it is not approved, it cannot be used for items other than those that are approved and emergency equipment (the safety information card).

Latest resources

Back