Get noticed and fly!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetBlast2000

Have any good ideas on how to get your resume noticed among the melee that are out there right now? I’m a CFII/MEI at a “good” 141 flight school with 1800 TT and 310 Multi. I seem to be averaging about 40-80 resumes send out each month. I’m still paying my dues, but short of updating every month with my list of possible employers, finding new places to apply, and / or traveling to all of them to hand deliver my resume, I’ve had zero response… Suggestions?

BTW-PFT is NOT a viable option for me… yet…?

JB2000,

What can we say but, Keep at it. I know it stinks to hear that but at this time all you can do is keep flying and updating and keep your nose clean. Something will come in time. You don't have your ratings listed, so if you don't have it I'd suggest you get your ATP assuming you meet the other mins, I see you have the total time. Buy the ATP book knock out the written (you don't need to pay $$$ for the course) then knock out the rest of the ATP, you'll save $$ that way.

Just look at it this way, you've got a job at a "good 141 school", that means a stable company/job, alot of us around here wish we could say that about our comany right now. You have something we don't.

Take Care

Last edited:
Have patience. In my opinion, in the pre 9/11 days it was OK to send out a bunch of resumes - you could get a job fairly easily with your hours (as I am sure you know).

However, now... I think most jobs are luck and/or knowing someone. My post 9/11 job was just luck, being in the right place at the right time.

Also, some people have this thing called "Networking". In my opinion "networking" is a bunch of b.s. It basically boils down to kissing someones ass for a possible walk in resume?? I hate when people say "you have to network more".

If you work at a part 141 school then I am sure other instructors go on to other jobs. Don't you have any friends out there who you could call up and ask if their companies are hiring?

Finally, yes people want to move on in aviation. However, don't forget that with this economy and the amount of pilots on the street today - we should all be lucky that we have a job behind the yoke, not a desk.

Get a foot in the door.....

When I was an executive at a Fortune 250 company in a previous life, I had a guy FedEx me a shoe with a resume in it. Attached to the shoe was a note that read, "I'm just trying to get my foot in the door."

I called him in for an interview, hired him, and he went on to do great things.

Best of luck.:D :cool:

Every company is going to get my shoes! That is a great idea, if a company can accept that kind of humor, then I want to work there!!

No company would hire me if they ever got one of my shoes in the mail....... :D

Resume attatched to well-worn Birkenstock? I think not......:D :) :p

--03m

If you completed pilot training in the National Guard or Reserves it would help. Of course that would take considerable time.

About 3 years ago those would be good numbers. Too bad today b/c there is so much competition. Your ratio is good. Keep flying and wh0re yourself out for multi as much as you can.
Things are slowly coming together, so hang in there. It'll happen for you. Good luck!

Forty to eighty resumes a month is a noble effort. But from my job hunting efforts, both in aviation and out, resumes alone just don't get you a job. Maybe you're already doing this, but focus your efforts on networking. Then once you have an "in" shoot a resume to the appropriate person.

With the right contacts and some luck, you should be able to get a job with those times.

good luck,
BD

Thanks for all the encouragements! I guess the moral is to just keep plug’n away. Persistency and consistency will be my bedrocks… I’m flying so I can’t bitch too much. I do know a few instructors at a few different airlines, but none of them are hiring now. L I should get my ATP in the next month or so, that should help.

-JB2K

BTW – My top 4 choices each will be getting a shoe in the mail! But I think I should go get some of that bowling alley smelly stuff. I wouldn’t want to offend!

Latest resources

Back