German Air-Traffic Controllers Plan Strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

Germany’s air-traffic controllers will stage a six-hour strike over pay this week in a protest that could affect thousands of flights at Deutsche Lufthansa AG (LHA) and dozens of other airlines, the GdF union said today.

The GdF will ask 3,400 controllers to walk out between 6 a.m. and noon on Aug. 4 after rejecting revised wage proposals from Deutsche Flugsicherung GmbH, Germany’s air navigation service provider, the labor group said in a statement.

Almost 96 percent of union members backed industrial action in a poll result announced yesterday, and talks are at a point where there is “no alternative other than to strike,” the GdF said. Lufthansa said it’s following the situation with “great concern” and urged the sides to reach a settlement, while DFS said it’s not clear how severe potential disruption might be.

“We’re trying to find a solution but we don’t know if we’ll manage by Thursday morning,” DFS Managing Director Jens Bergmann said at a press conference in Frankfurt. “We don’t know exactly how many employees will decide to strike.”

DFS workers coordinate as many as 10,000 flights in German airspace every day, and anything between 2,000 and 3,000 services could be affected in the strike, Markus Siebers, the union’s wages and rights representative, said by telephone.

“The DFS is not taking our demands seriously,” he said.

The employer’s revised proposals were rejected because they failed to meet non-negotiable demands including a pay increase in line with inflation, the union said in its statement.

To contact the reporter on this story: Alexander Webb in Frankfurt at [email protected]

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Chad Thomas at [email protected]

Just divert to Amsterdam, they have the gay parade on the canals on saturday, you'll have a shock and a blast  ( not saying I condone this immoral behaviour, or more importantly, partake )

Damn Germans. First they bomb Pearl Harbor .... And now this.

Very disappointed.

Just divert to Amsterdam, they have the gay parade on the canals on saturday, you'll have a shock and a blast  ( not saying I condone this immoral behaviour, or more importantly, partake )

Too bad I don't arrive until Sunday morning.....

Damn Germans. First they bomb Pearl Harbor .... And now this.

Very disappointed.

You sure? I thought they sunk the Merrimac.

Latest resources

Back