General Airline Cockpit Jumpseat question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

Can an airline pretty much dictate anyone they want to ride in the cockpit jumpseat? The company I work for allows freakin interns, and pretty much anyone to ride in the cockpit...I always thought you had to have certain qualifications...some type of airman certificate?

Can an airline pretty much dictate anyone they want to ride in the cockpit jumpseat? The company I work for allows freakin interns, and pretty much anyone to ride in the cockpit...I always thought you had to have certain qualifications...some type of airman certificate?

"Freakin interns" should have airman certificates and should have had an FBI background check, just like you. The company can dictate who rides on the jump-seat but it must be approved by the FAA. I'm not sure if it's on an 'as needed' basis or if the FAA grants blanket approval for interns to ride.

Give interns a break. They are trying to learn what it means to be an airline pilot and you undoubtedly will have an impact on an intern if he/she rides on your jump-seat. Chances are you will have a former intern as an FO some day. You don't want your FO to think "oh great, it's that dick who treated me like crap when I was an intern", it would make for a long trip.

"Freakin interns" should have airman certificates and should have had an FBI background check, just like you. The company can dictate who rides on the jump-seat but it must be approved by the FAA. I'm not sure if it's on an 'as needed' basis or if the FAA grants blanket approval for interns to ride.

Give interns a break. They are trying to learn what it means to be an airline pilot and you undoubtedly will have an impact on an intern if he/she rides on your jump-seat. Chances are you will have a former intern as an FO some day. You don't want your FO to think "oh great, it's that dick who treated me like crap when I was an intern", it would make for a long trip.

I could do with out the intern J/S's here at comair they J/S just so they can get home for the weekend, not learning purposes. Also they win the seat over a company pilot since its for training.

I could do with out the intern J/S's here at comair they J/S just so they can get home for the weekend, not learning purposes. Also they win the seat over a company pilot since its for training.

Please tell me that is not true!

Ever been bumped of the j/s on an off-line carrier for an intern?
I have.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back