Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SilverSurfer

Gents,

Need some information from any Gemini and Amerijet pilots regarding the experience you have had with your companies since HIG took over.

I work for Flight Options and we have recently been told that HIG is buying us. 2 years ago we voted in the IBT as our reps and have been in negotiations for 19 months. If any of your pilots that have been involved in the leadership or negations could give me some feed back regarding the impact that HIG had on your efforts it would be appreciated.

Nothing has changed a bit at Gemini. Same old same old. Out of BK now, union contract unchanged. Ops normal.

A few questions

Nothing has changed a bit at Gemini. Same old same old. Out of BK now, union contract unchanged. Ops normal.

Thanks for getting back to me. If you could help me fill in a void of information the 600 pilots at Options would be grateful.

What I know;

Your group is ALPA
Part 121
Cargo
Operate DC10 & MD11

Questions;

How long has HIG been on the property?
How many pilots are at Gemini?
Was the contract in place when HIG came in?
Have you had any contract negotiation with HIG?
Did HIG make any change in top management?
Has HIG had any direct communications with the Union?
Has there been any discernible change in you job good or bad?
Can you give me the contact information for your MEC chairman or have him get in touch with me?

Thanks for your help.

I'll try to answer a few as best I can.

How long has HIG been on the property?
Bayside bought us a little over 2 years ago. HIG owns Bayside. HIG is just a large supplier of money to support Bayside's investments. They (Bayside) also own Amerijet. It's kind of like AOL owning Time-Warner. HIG owns a lot of stuff, which in tun owns a lot of stuff. All they care about is how well all their stuff is making money, probably at shareholders meetings a few times a year. They don't count paper clips, pilots, aircraft, equipment, etc. They are bean counters interested in the bottom line of their companies.
How many pilots are at Gemini?
About 180. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. We have 6 DC-10 and 4 MD-11 frieghters.
Was the contract in place when HIG came in?
Yes
Have you had any contract negotiation with HIG?
No. We have had a new contract agreement since, but negotiations are with Gemini Air Cargo management. HIG has nothing to do with the running of the company.
Did HIG make any change in top management?
No. Again HIG has nothing to do with managing the company. Bayside is a major shareholder and has members on the Board of Directors that Gemini Management answers to. Bayside would be the one to step in and take action if it was felt that Gemini's CEO was not managing the company well. I would guess that Bayside's management is responsible to HIG's Board.
Has HIG had any direct communications with the Union?
Don't know, I'm just a line pilot and don't get the union's mail. I highly doubt it, though. Again, HIG is a big money pot, they don't have anything to do with Gemini Operations.
Has there been any discernible change in you job good or bad?
Gemini management still runs the company with no short leashes that I know of. We would probably like to see Bayside make some changes in top level management so we could grow the company. Life on the line before the buyout and after the buyout has remained unchanged. Go to work, fly the jet, collect a paycheck. I've been here 10 years and the paycheck has always been there every two weeks, regardless of who owned us.
Can you give me the contact information for your MEC chairman or have him get in touch with me?
I don't see what that would accomplish. I'm sure the information is available through ALPA. You can PM me if you want, but you understand I wouldn't give that information out to a general question on a public information site. Our MEC has nothing to do with HIG or Bayside. I suspect that Flight Options will continue to answer to it's company management, and not the bankers.

My advice to you is to just relax and fly the jet.
This is not like merging two airlines where all your concerns would be valid. This is more like your mortgage company selling your home loan to another mortgage company. Change the name on your payment check and continue to enjoy living in your home.
I hope this helps a little.
Fly Safe

Last edited:
Hey Surfer!
I just re-read your original posta and realized why you are interested in contacting our MEC. I don't think he could really help as I know that HIG was not "involved" in any way on our latest contract negotiations, and I doubt that it will effect your negotiations with your company's management. You might look into who the board of directors are that your company answers to. Once a contract is agreed to, your company will have to take it to them for final ratification, but that is usually just a formality. Again, PM me if you think that our experience is at all helpful.
Good luck with the contract!

HIG seems to have no influence with the actual relation between the union negotiations and management at Amerijet.

Gents,

Need some information from any Gemini and Amerijet pilots regarding the experience you have had with your companies since HIG took over.

I work for Flight Options and we have recently been told that HIG is buying us. 2 years ago we voted in the IBT as our reps and have been in negotiations for 19 months. If any of your pilots that have been involved in the leadership or negations could give me some feed back regarding the impact that HIG had on your efforts it would be appreciated.
For over 2 years we tried to get a contract with Amerijet. We could not get anywhere. What the company did was intimidate the pro- union pilots by threats of suspension or by finding ways of firing them. Over 50 pilots left the company in the last 18 months. That can give you an idea of how bad things are. Amerijet is a revolving door for pilots. New pilots leave as soon as they find out how bad it is.

Thanks for your comments

Thank you all for you comments. We are in an information vacuum at the moment with respect to how HIG will effect or contract negotiations. Any and all help we can get at this point will help us in future actions with the company.

I sounds like our brothers at Amerijet are in a very similar situation and under the same Union flag. Do any of you Amerijet guys know if you still have active Union leadership in place or a negotiations committee chairman?

Latest resources

Back