Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PAPA FOX!

Super Bowl bound 2008!!
After the JB incident a co-worker told he that it is highly unlikely that people would survive if it had done a complete gear up ldg. Of course I told him that would not be the case at all. Could any of you post a link of a video of a TRANSPORT CATAGORY aircraft landing gear up. He wants to see how it would go down. He will appreciate it. I thank you as well.

SWA had one maingear up in ONT a couple years ago, no big deal. There's been a couple CRJs land nose gear up, no big deal

there was a hawker that landed with all three gears up in KLAS a few years ago using foam. THere is video of it somewhere. They made it ok.

Why not just explain the physics behind this type of landing yourself. Use a model plane or soemthing, or just pull some NTSB reports and show him....

25 years ago or so there was a 737 that landed gear up in Casper, WY. (As I remember it was a Frontier airplane.) The crew screwed up - they pulled the gear warning circuit breaker at some point during the flight and failed to reset it prior to landing. Long story short, they ended up sliding it on with very little damage to the airplane.

Here's a question for your friend...

How does an airline pilot know if he's landed gear up?

Answer: It takes full power to taxi to the ramp!

'Sled

Saw a video in indoc during CRM day of a 727 landing with the left main up...captain did a beautiful job putting it down on the right main, the nose, and then let the left wing down nice and easy...the FA's in hotpants gave it up that it was a while ago though. Don't remember where or when it was.

EB

An easy request to satisfy.

Just have your friend watch the first few minutes of Twelve O'Clock High.
It's the greatest war movie ever made, and if you can't find it in video stores, it's available for sale.
Anyway, in opening, Frank Tallman (I believe) lands an B-17 gear up. For you trivia buffs, he touched down within about 10 feet of the director's mark for the stunt (which is good, considering retakes would have been very expensive). Impressive all the way around.

VampyreGTX said:
Here's a video of a 737 with the left mains up during landing.

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/737%20Gear%20up.mpg

There's a lesson in there for future reference. He does a good job smoothly bringing the plane down to the runway, but as soon as the good main touches the runway, hello SPOILERS! What would have been a smooth touchdown turns into the engine being smashed into the runway and catching fire.

Might be something to consider should that ever happen again- disarm the ground spoilers. I doubt if you're going to have difficulty getting stopped, and you might be able to lessen the damage to the aircraft- as well as the fire hazard.

The 737 video is of a Piedmont Airlines 73 landing in GSO. No one was hurt. Later found the cause to be a chock up in the wheel well that prevented the left main from extending.

Latest resources

Back