Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question Garmin GHA-15 Height Advisor on a Carbon Cub?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EZATCEric

I’m having an IFR panel built for me by SteinAir for my CubCrafters EX-3 that I’ll be starting shortly (I hope) and was looking to add the new Garmin GHA-15 height advisor. I was also planning on installing a Carbon fiber cargo pod and have found out today that the GHA-15 antenna has to be mounted at least 20” above the ground. The antenna cannot detect detect through the carbon or fiberglass material so must be mounted on the bottom of the aircraft. Neil, would you be able to get me a measurement from your aircraft from the bottom of the cargo pod to the ground? Also, where did you source your cargo pod? Thanks in advance!! Eric

Welcome to FI @EZATCEric. I highly recommend Randy Apling's cargo pod:

http://www.carbonconceptsak.com/

The price today is the same I paid over two years ago, I think it's $2800. Excellent pod with rear folding flap for long items to hang out if needed, quality construction, amazing customer service.

To use the pod your transponder antenna will need to be moved forward just right of the exhaust is where CC put mine so be sure that is located for a pod if you decide later, etc.

You'll want rear pod mounts installed prior to fabric cover of your fuselage, welded ideal but CC wouldn't do that so they used adel clamps instead which works fine. Per Randy:

the only thing that will need to be welded is a tab 5/8 x 5/8 x 1/8” thick with a 3/16” hole in the center as per the photos 40 1/2” behind the back of the rear gear leg fitting.
I think you could mount the height advisor forward of where the cargo pod would be, i.e. just behind the cabanee vee possibly? But to be honest, what value are you gaining from this device? I learned of it, saw it at Oshkosh but don't see the value. To each their own...just curious.

If you're intending to mount the height advisor on the pod I think that's a bad idea. You can easily remove the cargo pod at any time and if you have any avionics running into it that could hamper that. You could possibly mount it on an inspection plate aft of the cargo pod or as mentioned above in the cabane vee area if it won't interfere.

Welcome to FI @EZATCEric. I highly recommend Randy Apling's cargo pod:

http://www.carbonconceptsak.com/

The price today is the same I paid over two years ago, I think it's $2800. Excellent pod with rear folding flap for long items to hang out if needed, quality construction, amazing customer service.

To use the pod your transponder antenna will need to be moved forward just right of the exhaust is where CC put mine so be sure that is located for a pod if you decide later, etc.

You'll want rear gear mounts installed prior to fabric cover of your fuselage, welded ideal but CC wouldn't do that so they used adel clamps instead which works fine. Per Randy:

I think you could mount the height advisor forward of where the cargo pod would be, i.e. just behind the cabanee vee possibly? But to be honest, what value are you gaining from this device? I learned of it, saw it at Oshkosh but don't see the value. To each their own...just curious.

If you're intending to mount the height advisor on the pod I think that's a bad idea. You can easily remove the cargo pod at any time and if you have any avionics running into it that could hamper that. You could possibly mount it on an inspection plate aft of the cargo pod or as mentioned above in the cabane vee area if it won't interfere.
Thanks for the info on the pod. I thought it was Carbon Concepts and left them a couple of messages and haven’t heard anything back yet. I think they’re out hunting! Anyway, I’ve pretty well decided to scrap the GHA-15 idea. Sometimes when something new comes out you think you’ve got to get it! Sometimes less is more! Thanks again for the response.

if you intend to put the airplane on floats, the height advisor would be useful. Mount the antennas in the wing outboard of the lift struts.

if you intend to fly the airplane IFR, the radar altimeter is nice to have but is not used on a Category 1 instrument approach. I don't know if the product works with lasers or is a radar altimeter. Depending on operation specifications, a radar altimeter is required for Catagory 2 and 3 approaches. Most FAR 91 operators don't go through the certification process and the required initial and recurrent training to use those approaches.

Thanks for the info on the pod. I thought it was Carbon Concepts and left them a couple of messages and haven’t heard anything back yet. I think they’re out hunting! Anyway, I’ve pretty well decided to scrap the GHA-15 idea. Sometimes when something new comes out you think you’ve got to get it! Sometimes less is more! Thanks again for the response.
Update: Randy called me a couple days ago and I’ve got the cargo pod on order! Thanks again for the information!

Latest resources

Back