Garmin 430 in the 152?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ePilot22 said:
What's going on with Airman now? Any new news?

Nothing really. The building looks like any other old hangar... as if Airman never existed. I haven't been on the field at Westheimer for awhile now, so I don't know about the planes, but I think the bank has sold/is selling them.

The Attorney General is looking hard at them, so that could be a ray of hope. Who knows...

MFR

minitour said:
When they start talk about adding boots and a hot plate, you know they're goin overboard....

Ha...that reminds me of a Simpsons episode...

I still have room to plug in a fax machine, a coffeepot, a deep fryer, a LiteBrite, a DVD player and a karaoke machine!!!

MFR

HMR said:
I think it's akin to putting a $50 saddle on a $10 horse but if someone else is paying the bill- more power to 'em.
On the other hand, why not. I went out one evening for night currency. Didn't care much which airplane I flew, so long as the lights worked, so I took one of the least expensive and oldest 172N's on a flight line that is 90% P R and S models.

When I got to it, I did a double-take when I saw it had a 430 and an HSI! My first impression, like yours, was that it seemed to be a bit of overkill, but when I asked around I found that the owner figured that if it had advanced equipment it was more likely to compete with the newer models and be =the= step-up trainer.

minitour said:
When they start talk about adding boots and a hot plate, you know they're goin overboard...
Mini...
You don't need boots and a hot plate to fly in ice, just knowledge and skill.

Signed,
You know who

uh -oh......no, not again!!!!! I hope the tree fell in the forest and nobody was around to hear it!

Remember the old article "Ice Without Fear"?

Written by the guy who flew Hale Boggs in Alaska and their airplane disappeared without a trace. But I'll bet there was more than "a trace" when it did!

UAL78 said:
uh -oh......no, not again!!!!! I hope the tree fell in the forest and nobody was around to hear it!

Remember the old article "Ice Without Fear"?

Written by the guy who flew Hale Boggs in Alaska and their airplane disappeared without a trace. But I'll bet there was more than "a trace" when it did!
UAL78...
Not to worry. I forgot to mention that you also need to be flying a Turbo 182. ;)

'Sled

Discovery Channel

UAL78 said:

I think I saw something about him on the Discovery Channel. Wasn't he flying a Cessna 310 when he went down?

How ironic, he writes the article, then crashes and dies before the article is even published.

The 430 is wonderful to have and will actually make instrument flying much easier. Dont be intimidated by all of the features, they become very resourceful once you've gained an understanding on how to use them. The 430 simulator is a very helpful too.

Here's some exercises you should practice on the simulator.

Set your starting point by dialing in the airport you're at airport.

Once airborne, go direct to the airport you wish to do approaches at. Do this by pushing the D button and dial inthe destination.

Once you've obtained a direct course, push the PROC button. This will pull up the apporaches available at the destination airport. Select the manner in which you plan to execute the apporach. You can go direct to a IAF or to receive vectors. At this point you can load or activate it. Activiate it. This will create a course to the fix. Make sure the CDI button is correctly set to GPS or LOC. After you have a course in the upper right window, set the HSI or OBS to that course and bug it.

From here, the GPS unit will make all course changes and prompt you with the MSG feature as to what heading you neeed to set and fly including holding pattern entries for PT's.

When you've passed the MAP you'll have to hit the button to unsuspend the course. Once you do this you will be given the course to the published missed.

Latest resources

Back